Fuel sending unit or Gauge most likely to fail?

Hey all,

My 97's fuel gauge has gone bonkers. Sometimes it reads a full tank, sometimes

3/4, but it's never accurate. A few months ago it started working intermittently, but when it did work, it was accurate. Now it just doesn't work at all. Sometimes it moves from full, but only by a hair, no matter how much is in the tank. I know I need to fill up after 300 miles, so I'm not worried about running out of gas, but I'd just like to fix it. Does anybody know which is more likely to fail, the sending unit in the tank or the gauge itself? I don't want to have to order a whole new gauge cluster if I don't need it, and on the other hand, I don't want to take down the gas tank if I don't have to. Anybody have any way to test and see which is my problem? I haven't cruised the garage at Miata.net yet, but I doubt this is in there. Thanks for any help!

Paco

97 Montego Blue Miata 91 Toyota Previa 77 Suzuki RE5
Reply to
Pacocase