Headrest speaker questions

My wonderful wife gave me a gift certificate to GoMiata.com. I'm thinking about getting the Clearwater headrest speakers for my '97. It has an Alpine stereo with Boston Acoustics door speakers in it now and I'm pretty happy with the sound, but I'm always looking for ways to improve. A few questions:

Is this an installation that a good car stereo place should be able to do?

The GoMiata ad says that they are designed to plug into the stock stereo. Will they work off the rear outs in my Alpine unit?

How do they go into the headrests? I don't see a way to remove the covers.

Most importantly, I'd like to hear from someone who has tried them. Are they worth having?

Thanks very much.

Reply to
Dave Smith

Yes, but do it yourself. Piece of cake.

I don't see why not.

There's a zipper hidden under the seam around the headrest.

See the reviews on miata.net. Note the reviews of other brands, too.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Lanny's on the right track (as usual)

- There are zippers that are reasonably easy to access. Just fold the seam backward. Pull out the plastic cover and the speakers will be revielled.

-3-1/2" speakers fit, but will require a little trimming with an X-acto knife to fully seat.

- ANY quality two-way speaker will significantly imrpove performance. (My recommendation is to acoustically match (impedence, RMS & peak, and sensitivity rating) to your door speakers...) -- Crutchfield is a good source for suitible components.

[FYI - I am using Sony X-plod speakers @ $59/pair and have crystal clear, audible tunes at 80mph+...]

Cheers!

- L

'97 STO, "Chouki"

// Change TEJAS to TX to reply via eMail //

Reply to
L Bader

When I installed Clearwater headrest speakers in my '91, I discovered that the polarity to the right speaker in each seat was reversed. I had always wondered why I didn't get much sound from my factory headrest speakers, and despite the Miata magazine recommendations to check polarity, I never did, thinking it would not make that much difference. I WAS WRONG! It makes an incredible difference! Well, that, and the new speakers. You will not believe the difference between stock speakers and the Clearwaters!

Buy or borrow a multi-tester and make sure your polarity is correct! Rod

Reply to
Rod