speaker install questions

I got some Best Buy gift certificates for christmas so it is time to replace the old Sony CD-receiver in Pony with something having a 100% functioning volume control. :-) I checked my budget and did some research. Looks like the Pioneer DEH-P3500 is my best bet from what BB has available in my range. Now since the Sony is about 10 years old and only 4 x 8W I fear I will also have to replace the speakers, or I'll blow them.

From what I can see, I need 6" x 8" speakers. But how deep can they be? I'm not to worried about the ones on the rear deck, but I am worried about buying a set only to find out they won't fit in the doors. Does anybody know what the max depth is for a speaker to mount in the door of a 1995 Mustang Coupe?

Thanks in advance

BTW, any Roush collectorss here? If feel like contributing to my speaker fund, do check out my eBay auctions for Jack Roush signed collectibles. :-) Search for seller id 'PKS!'.

Reply to
Paul

If you don't get any replies here, go to

and you can find out the exact dimensions.

----------------- Jim '88 LX 5.0 (now in car heaven) '89 LX 5.0 vert '99 GT 35th Anniversery Edition - Silver Mods to date - Relocated trunk release to drivers side, shortened throttle cable.

Reply to
AZGuy

at 27 Dec 2003, AZGuy [ snipped-for-privacy@cox.net] wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I checked Crutchfield but all I could find was I needed 6x8" or 5x7 with a special adapter. I could not find anything about the max depth. Did I not look in the right spot?

Reply to
Paul

I was able to put 6x9 polks in the rear and 5x7 alpines in the doors, both came from circuit city. Both fit with out adapters

Reply to
Dave Sibbett

That's strange. The installer had to cut the holes to fit the 6x9's I bought for the rear deck on my '96 GTS. I'm not sure, but I think the factory hole was 6x5.

Cindy

Reply to
Cindy

at 27 Dec 2003, Dave Sibbett [ snipped-for-privacy@mylastname.com] wrote in news:0qiHb.6024$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdny03.gnilink.net:

Can you dig up the part# for those? We have a Circuit City over here and they both sound to be good brands... Thanks in advance

Reply to
Paul

Paul

Cindy was right my bad the rears are Polk 3 way "DX7's" and they are 5x7's for some reason 6x9 was etched in my brain. I crawled in the trunk to make sure. The speakers in the doors are alpines APN SPR574A 2ways, they appear to on clearance now. Mine are driven by a Sony xplod head unit. Sounds pretty damn good too. Jes wish I could get rid of the rattle in the rear when heavy bass notes hit.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Sibbett

Forget about getting rid of the rattles, Dave. The only thing I haven't tried is expanding foam! There's some very irritating noise from the rear deck that I can't seem to stop; sounds like a cricket!

Cindy

Sounds pretty damn good too. Jes wish I could get rid of

Reply to
Cindy

I'll gaurantee I probably had 50 lbs or more of sound deadening stuff in my last Explorer and it's WORTH the effort if you like sound quality. I used a Dynamat alternative:

a roll of cheap carpet underlayment and about 3 cans of expanding foam. When that truck was done, it could be at ear-bleeding volumes inside the truck and would be hardly audible outside. plus not a single rattle. Really tightened up the sound. All for under 100.00. Of the 2500.00 or so I had in that system, the sound deadening was the best money I spent.

Here's the url to the Explorer install:

Mike

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
Reply to
Mike

The noise from my rear deck sounds like a rattle snake everytime a low bass note hits. Drives me nucking fut's

Dave

Reply to
Dave Sibbett

Oh, I like your description better than mine. LOL!! Rattle snake...YES, that's it!!!! Thanks, Dave! ;-)

Cindy

Reply to
Cindy

To be honest, Mike, I don't think I have the patience to do that again. I did Dynamat the trunk floor and lid, but that didn't seem to help the rattle snake (thanks, Dave!) sound. Sure made the lid look cool, though. ;-)

Have you had a system in a Mustang yet? My friend has an old Dodge minivan, and even though the van is almost twenty years old, there are no rattles when the bass notes hit. I hate her for it! I admire your Explorer install! I wish I had the courage to rip my car apart like you did and really do it right once and for all...but I'm selling it now, so there's no point. And the system goes with it.

Really tightened

Next car I buy is getting that treatment. I've made enough mistakes with this one to know not to do it again. ;-)

Did you keep the Explorer?

Cindy

Reply to
Cindy

Yeah, I don't either...but I probably will seeing as the system is in the garage right now awaiting a suitable vehicle to call home.

Yes but it was a Fox bodied 92 Hatch. 2 12's built in to the spare tire well. No sound deadening though but that was 10 years ago and wasn't using the kind of power I was in the Explorer.

Naw. Traded it for the Talon I have now. I needed an economical car for the commute to school. I started Nursing school back in August and have a 100 mile round trip 5 times a week. Talon is a Turbo car...is quick and gets great mileage.

The goal is to have a newer 5-Series BMW that will get the same treatment the Explorer did. I'll probably upgrade the CDA-7892 I have now to a newer MP3 Alpine at that time. All this once school is out. I drove a 94 540i with like

190K on it and it drove like new :-) Won't get that in a domestic :-) I want either a 5-series or a 98-ish M3.

Mike

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
Reply to
Mike

Good luck in your Beemer search. We almost bought a beautiful 2000 burgundy

525i a few months ago, but the deal fell through and personally I just thought hubby was looking for an out on those high monthly payments. Instead we bought an '01 Civic. Yippee. LOL! I've driven a '97 M3 automatic and it was really nice. I think I would have traded my GT immediately for that car!

Cindy

Reply to
Cindy

at 28 Dec 2003, Dave Sibbett [ snipped-for-privacy@mylastname.com] wrote in news:%wEHb.11851$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdny01.gnilink.net:

Thanks Dave. I made a note of those two sets. Sounds like a combo I would enjoy the sound of.

Have A Great New Years Eve!

Reply to
Paul