Help me decide: MX-5 PRHT or BMW Z-4

I test drove an MX-5 (PRHT) today and it was great. MX-5 is a little more snug fitting than the Z-4 (in the cockpit as well as about half the trunk space) and the ride is smoother (less choppy) in the Z-4. I live in PA and the roads suck. This will be a summer fun car - stored in the winter.

Of course, the MX-5 is about 15 grand less, I can get a true red (Z-4 has an "orange" red - pretty crappy). I'm guessing the cost of maintenance on the Mazda will be much less over the long haul. The BMW dealer has a horrible reputation but I did like the way the Z-4 felt. When driving both cars "hard" it was a toss up...normal driving and the edge goes to the Z-4 - it's just more comfortable. I think with the top up there was better visibility in the MX-5. And you gotta love the PRHT although seeing the red top (instead of black) does take a bit of getting used to.

I want to love the Miata but there was something about the Z-4.

Convince me to go with the MX-5.

Reply to
Herm

The easy starter is that for $15k more you should be thinking "gotta have it" about the Z4. Then long haul maintenance is easily in the Mazda's favor. I'm surprised that hard driving got a toss up between the cars, but that's easily another nod in the Mazda's favor (especially for that $15k price difference).

Besides, the Z-4 is odd looking in my book. Ditch any thoughts of buying it and get the Miata.

Reply to
Mark

You could get a really nice turbo setup and some other pretty neat toys for a fraction of that $15K

Reply to
Grant Edwards

He already gives the MX-5 a tie to the Bimmer costing $15k more in the driving hard category, he doesn't need performance upgrades, he's looking for more comfortable ride. I'd say, look at the option list on the car you drove and see if it had the base suspension. If it had an upgraded suspension (sport or some such) you might have a chance otherwise, I'd say you're probably more Z4 material. Also if you like the looks / lines of the Z4, you probably don't appreciate the cleaner, more cohesive design of the miata. I think you'll be happier with the Z4. If the price is a problem buy a low mileage used model.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

I wouldn't even consider a Z4 - I think they are ugly, as well as too much $$. But I love the Z3's. If you are going to be driving fast and hard, you'll probably be happier with a used Z3. How can you have fun if you are worried about busting up a new Z4?

Another thing involved that you haven't mentioned - I get 30 mpg all the time - driving hard or taking it easy. You won't get near that with a Z4 above 50 mph. To me, that was the deciding factor. Not only was the Miata fun to drive, but you can drive it daily and still feel no guilt because of the gas mileage. It is very light so it has a good HP/weight ratio, which makes it very responsive and it handles like it is an extension of your eyes.

I just think the Z4 has too many negatives - initial cost, maintenance, cost to drive, and butt ugly. I think the key to enjoying a sports car is having fun, not worrying about how much it is costing me every time I punch the throttle. If it's status or luxury you're after, go for the BMW. But the tighter quarters, rougher ride, and lack of brute power give the Miata a wild or unrefined character that is the heart of the old MGB's and British roadsters in general. That's why they were so popular and why Mazda had the MGB directly in their sights when coming up with the concept.

Reply to
Dana Rohleder

Dana, I'll second the thumbs up vote on the Z3. It was / is a beautiful car, classic lines and a great body and a great interior. I also love the economy of the miata. It's not that it's the most important thing but when I think of my buddy who owns a Mustang Cobra, I think man what a shame that you have to have a really good reason to go put miles on that as it sucks down gas like a maniac.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

I think Herm is caught between competing desires - wanting a fun, good handling, fuel saving car on one hand and a comfortable, larger, smoother riding car on the other. My suggestion is to look at how you will drive the car to make up your mind. If he will use it for summer fun drives only, the Miata wins. Then too, most Miata owners like to play with their cars, participating in autocross & track days and/or adding accessories and performance enhancing modifications. If this is not an interest and if your driving will include shopping, golf, or longer trips, the Z-4 might be better. Based on what Herm wrote, I would agree with Chris D - the Z-4 might be better for him.

Reply to
BCRandy

Whoa, what is "most"?

I would agree that most people that talk on discussion boards about miatas do this, at least as far as accessories. I would not gamble that half of the people on this newsgroup race or auto cross, at least with any regularity.

We are a small minority compared to the many thousands of people who buy the miata just to drive it around.

Pat

Reply to
pws

pws wrote in news:45953e71$0$4843$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

Exactly, my stock 1600 is all the speed and power I need or want. I've owned some fairly fast cars over the years but I've learned there's no such thing as fast enough and a 200mph car makes little sense in a

35mph* world.

*35mph is assuming the traffic isn't as bad as usual.

Reply to
XS11E

I have nothing at all against modifying the car, especially replacing those toothpick sway bars and upgrading the shocks and tires. Even having the alignment done to your specs is an upgrade, imo. I also like having a rollbar on the first two generation miatas.

What I am disagreeing with is the statement that "most" miata drivers modify their cars and/or race/autocross. Mazda has sold something like 3/4 of a million of these vehicles, most of them are daily drivers.

It would be like claiming that most miata drivers belong to miata clubs or that most of them talk on miata discussion groups.

It simply isn't true. "Most" miata owners don't know or care about racing, car clubs or what their alignment specs are, they just drive their cars.

Pat

Reply to
pws

I shouldn't write when I am tired - I know what I want to say, but sometimes it doesn't come out as I meant.

What I should have said is, "More Miata owners than Z-4 owners play with their cars, adding accessories and performance enhancing modifications and some even participate in autocross & track days".

My assessment for Herm still stands. Money aside, if you want a daily driver and are concerned about space and a comfortable ride, pick the Z-4. If comfort and space are secondary to the fun of driving, pick the Miata.

Sorry for the c>

Reply to
BCRandy

Heh, don't let that stop you. I never have. ;-)

That would have left me with nothing to argue about about, where is the fun in that?

Absolutely.

Oh, come on, this is r.a.m.m., it's all cool.

Pre-Happy New Years!

Pat

Reply to
pws