Modified Mazdaspeed 2006 MX-5

I just saw this on a local list. Interesting pictures of the car built up for racing, some showing it partially disassembled.

pat

Reply to
pws

Excellent.

I must say...

Besides those garish skirts on the wheel wells, I like the '06.

Dana

Reply to
Dana H. Myers

laguna seca, best lap time ?

Reply to
dingo

no idea, there may be an article on it somewhere, but the only link that I saw was for the pictures.

pat

Reply to
pws

It does look fun to drive. I am still undecided on the skirts, not that it matters since I am unlikely to ever buy to own a miata made after

1994 again. Now that the stock MX-5 is closer to 3000 pounds than 2000 pounds in weight, I have less interest in it.

pat

Reply to
pws

Is that the same hardtop that fits the NA and NB? It looks awfully familiar, though I can't believe it wouldn't have changed for the third generation.

Reply to
tooloud

Where are you seeing the hardtop? I would have figured on a new hardtop design as well, especially considering the new soft top design. pat

Reply to
pws

Look at

and

Sure doesn't look like the current Miata top, but I could be mistaken.

Yours WDK - snipped-for-privacy@ij.net

................................................................ Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at

johnny phenothiazine

Reply to
pws

No, not the glass design, but the overall shape seems similar...there's no reason they couldn't have simply changed the look of the top but left the footprint the same.

Reply to
tooloud

I think it's more likely they had to deal with a new footprint (there's supposed to be 1.5" more seat travel) while trying to maintain the Miata look. After all, the shape of the old hardtop was nearly perfect--why would they change it?

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

If Mazda were to leave nearly perfect things alone on the miata, they would still be producing the M1. :-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

You'll get no argument from me on that, Pat. And all of them would be red, of course.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Of course. It has to be *nearly* perfect.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

I'll let you know in six weeks. There will be one at Miatas in Moab, courtesy of Mazda USA. So far over 300 drivers signed up for this redrock tour. Loren

Reply to
the invisible man

Red is finally growing on me, it has never been a favorite car color of mine, and I probably would not have bought the car except for all of the aftermarket accessories. I prefer white, black, blue (especially Starlight Mica) or some of the other darker colors, though what I would really like to see is an M1 that has been painted the sky blue color that I see on some of the M2's. Overall, I think that black paint looks the best, for the 15 seconds or so that it remains clean after washing it.

Pat red '91 turbo

A few new pics

pws

Reply to
Mark Stilley

The OP greatly exaggerated, but it has put on a few hundred pounds over the years.

According to mazdausa.com the '06 MX-5 weighs 23 lbs more than the old one. According to edmunds.com the curb weight of the 2005 model is 2447 lbs. According to

the 1990 model weighed 2105 lbs while the '93 weighed 2222 manual or 2280 auto.

The original engine had 116 HP while the '06 has 170 HP, so the power to weight ratio is better today.

-John

Reply to
Generic

It's probably a far better car today in all ways, too.

Dana

Reply to
Dana H. Myers

I didn't greatly exaggerate, I stated that the car now weighs closer to

3000 pounds than it does to 2000 pounds. If the 2006 model car now weighs 2600+ pounds, then my statement is true. When it weighed 2105 pounds (or any number under 2500) it was closer to 2000 pounds than it was to 3000 pounds. This is no longer the case.

Pat

Reply to
pws