how to replace rear main seal

Can somebody suggest what is the better and easier way to replace rear main seal: by taking out the engine or by dropping tranny.

Thanks. Mikhail.

Reply to
rasputin

The easiest way to change that seal, unfortunately, is to put the car up on jack stands and remove the tranny. It's a bit of a job, as I realized when I did it two years ago. But you can take care of alot of different needs when you do it: clutch replacement and check under the stick shift for worn parts, rear seal, driveshaft, and exhaust components. You will be removing all of those items, so think of it as a job that's well worth the effort

Reply to
Tkm