Pulling engine from 1965 CJ5 - need help

I'm in the process of pulling the engine from my 65' CJ5 plow vehicle to replace the clutch and ring gear. The last thing I need to do is remove the In/Out - High/Low shift levers.

It looks like I have to remove the front drive shaft u-joint yoke and then remove the unit that the shift levers connect to. Is this correct? I really don't want to remove this and have gears and springs fall out.

Thanks for any help

Larry

Reply to
Larry W

Hi Larry, The whole floor boards come out from around the shift levers of your Real Jeep:

Just pull the starter,bellhousing bolts, clutch bell crank, front and rear drive, and PTO shafts,emergency cable, and drop the transmission and cross member as a unit on afloor jack:
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||Omailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Bill & Jeff,

Thanks for the replies. I should have made it clear that I have some minor engine work that will be much easier to do with it out of the vehicle so I want to pull the engine with trans together.

Everything is ready to pull but it's not going to come out as a unit with the In/Out - High/Low shift levers attached.

I added some text to Bill's photo below pointing to the section of the transmission that I think I need to remove but as I mentioned before I'd like to avoid any surprises.

Thanks again for the help Larry

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
Larry W

Are you removing the engine/tranny/Tcase/ as a unit then as I assume here and which engine is it, the 225 or 134?

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Since you are replacing clutch and ring gear you might as well separate the transmission from the engine now to make removal easier.

Reply to
nrs

Some like to remove it as a unit but myself I generally do not. Granted it is a bit easier to mate tranny and engine when it is out but it throws CG off or unit pulling it and there is more to disconnect to get it all out tool. Unless the engine really needs to be out, I would consider dropping Tranny and Tcase out and leaving engine in. I would replace rear main seal on engine regardless of appearance while it is aparts and any tranny/Tcase seal too given its age while you have it apart.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

See the lock bolt that lets the shaft holding the levers slide out:

Might tilt it on it'sside and take them out from the other real jeeps:
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||Omailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Thanks Bill,

That's just what I did yesterday. Loosened the locknut and pulled the shaft. Tomorrow I'll pull the engine and trans. as one unit.

WALCK'S 4WD

was recommended as a good place to buy the clutch, ring gear etc.. Prices seem fair - anyone suggest another source to check.

Thanks Larry

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
Larry W