Lubricating the doors

Getting resistance while opening door. Should I use Lithium grease?

Reply to
Gary

Not if there's someone inside trying to keep you out.

Reply to
Frank Berger

Re: 1991 Miata

What is the recommended product and procedure for lubricating the Miata doors which is making a noise when I open them.

You would think this would be easy but just do some Google searches and you get a wide range of opinion. From WD-40, which some people rave about and others claim will ruin your door hinges.

I would like a two step recommendation:

(1) Clean the current hinges of any contaminants that are there.

(2) Apply a lubricant, what ever that may be.

Thanks,

Gary

Reply to
Gary

A pal of mine likes to remind people "WD40 is a solvent, not a lubricant". As such, it might be a nice step 1 to help clean the hinge. I know it cleans grungy areas of my cycle well.

For step 2, I've used "no-flyoff" motorcycle chain lube. It sprays on, penetrates, and then kind of gels. Otherwise some kind of lock lube with graphite in it might be nice.

I knew a secretary whose typewriter was squeaking on certain keys, and they asked maintenance what to lube it with... the guy opened the cover and a mouse ran out... really!

miker

Reply to
miker

Spray some WD40 in a clean glass bowl. After the solvent evaporates, examine the slippery greasy film that remains and have your friend explain how it's not a lubricant.

However the LAST thing I want is to start yet ANOTHER "WD-40 is the Devil's spittle" thread.

A lube that penetrates, the thickens into a grease is what's called for. Motorcycle chain lube is an excellent choice. So is LPS-3

It is marketed for its superb anti-corrosion properites, but I've used in on motorcycle chains as a lubricant with excellent results.

Reply to
Natman

Too late, are you going to start a natural vs synthetic thread also?

Reply to
XS11E

;>)

Reply to
Natman

I couldn't find the recommended LPS product but I picked up something called PB Blaster, which is supposed to be a penetrating catalyst and recommended by Auto Zone. I found out later that its not really a lubricant but they have another spray called PB-50 that is a lubricant which I should have bought. PB Blaster is an orange consociation and seems to dry up with no perceivable lubricant coating the cup. I will not use that on my Miata. Its really a WD-40 competitor, I am told.

So I went down to this huge Harley Davidson store and its really huge. I grabbed something called Lube Plus. I looked at it in a cup and there is real lubricant along the sides of the cup. It has the consistency of WD-40 in the cup but more lubricant. I think I will go with it unless I get a thumbs down here.

Gary

Dirt bike shops sell waterproof synthetic chainlube that squirts thin, penetrates, then sets up to thick grease. Nearly 30 years ago, the best brand was PJ-1. I still have a can, and guess where I use it?

Reply to
Lanny Chambers