M2 (1999) alignment specs request

Hi,

After checking miata.net for wheel alignment specs, I'm still not sure which ones I should use. My car is an M2 ('99) with stock equipment. I drive (ahem) agressively, and do city (mostly) and highway driving.

Following are the specs I saw on miata.net. I'm at a loss to know which ones are right for me and my car.

Front Camber: -1.0 degrees Caster: 5.0 degrees Toe: 1/32 inch IN per side Rear Toe: 1/32 inch (0°4.5' or 0.075°) IN per side Camber: -1.75 degrees

Reply to
Elizabeth Friedman

You'll need to tell us about how you use the car. Do you drive hard (i.e., sliding around corners) on the street? Autocross? Hot laps on a race track? Strictly commuting on highways? What's more important to you: nimbleness or stability? I tried to stress on my page that the alignment should be matched to driving style, for both performance and best tire wear.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

I drive aggressively (but safely), mostly in a very urban environment with lots of corners (woo-hoo!). I also do highway driving (aggressively, but safely and with no tailgating), but not regularly.

I do zero autocross and racing, though I'm sure I'd like them. (I have neck problems that prohibit such activity. They have also prevented me from taking a performance driving course, which I'd really like to do.)

Nimbleness is for driving, and stability is for financial institutions, right? :)

Does this additional info point to certain alignment specs over others?

Thanks, /e

Reply to
Elizabeth Friedman

in my very limited racing exp. I've noticed that driving aggressively on the road or the track (with same car), influences human body the same way (same top g forces), but it's much safer to do it on track (maybe not safer for the driver but a hole bunch for pedestrians, etc)...

put your helmet on, and there are these thing that goes around your neck, between helmet and shoulders, that prevents your head from tilting. maybe that can help you enjoy track rampaging :)

Reply to
Domagoj Bagaric - bagi

I use the neck brace also it keeps you bobble from heading around. I got started using one in drag racing( NHRA required if you run faster that 9.99

1/4 mile) and it followed through to autocross with me. Take a look at them you'll be surprised at the comfort and fit.

-- Jerry Randolph '90B Red Houston, TX

Reply to
Jerry

I think you'd be happy with my original specs as a starting place (-1.0 front camber, -1.5 rear camber). On the alignment rack, it's critical that you either sit in the car or ballast the driver's seat to your weight. Ask the shop about this first, and go elsewhere if they balk.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Oops! I forgot to mention those wonderful Northern California twisty roads. I do those, too. :)

/e

Reply to
Elizabeth Friedman

I checked out the JEG's web site and I'll look into these braces further to see if they protect better than a cervical collar does. My neck problem is quite serious, however, and I have a feeling that my osteopath will nix the idea of my racing no matter what. :-( But I will bring up the idea with him nonetheless. :-)

/e

Reply to
Elizabeth Friedman

" /e " I had a broken neck (C-4, C-5, C-6) and lower back. (L-4, L-5). They are fused now, but I still Autocross by using a "neck collar" that fits under the helmet and on my sholders. I don't turn my head much when racing, just move my eyes to see the next cones. The collar picks up all the weight of the helmet and keeps it from moving side to side in the high "G" turns. ( You do use your arms and sholders a lot in this type of racing. Sitting closer to the steering wheel cuts down on the sholder movement.) Good luck with it, and give it a try.

Bruce RED '91

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN