Top down, windows up. Uuughhh

My wife and I were riding in my '97 yesterday with the top down and she wanted to put the windows up so her hair wouldn't get so "mussed." Geeez. It's not as if she were 80. I told her that to do so is a serious violation of the convertable code of ethics. Then we saw a BMW Z3 in just such an infernal configuration. She pointed it out and I told her that Beemer drivers are all arrogant wusses and that they erroneously believe that they are above adhering to proper convertable ethics. Case closed. She wants more confirmation of my position. What do you all say?

Reply to
Dave

I always try to keep a scarf, small brush, and some hairclips/pins in the glove compartment.

I don't know if "ethics" is quite the right word, but it is a serious breech of the rules of style. And a far more serious one than having mussed hair, I might add.

Z3 owners haven't a clue. Around here they hardly ever even put the tops down. If they do, even a light rain will cause Z3 tops to all go right back up again.

I think it's rather that they're all completely ignorant of the basics of convertible style. Though you'd think one glance at the top-down/windows-up configuration would clue them in that it's tres gauche.

I'm with you.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Bingo. With you all the way.

You might as well trail a banner that says "I hate convertibles, but everyone says that convertibles are cool, so I bought it anyway! I'm dumb as a post!"

-- Larry

Reply to
pltrgyst

I read somewhere that if the passenger wants the window up , let them do it. A driver gets less wind effect if the driver's side window is down and the passenger's side widow is up.

Reply to
Col:

hmmmm.... if you are going to preach code of ethics, at least learn to spell convertible correctly.

(And I just happen to own both a beemer and a Miata!)

:)

Reply to
tyop

split personality ???

Reply to
dingo

I learned something in the last few years; let people enjoy things the way they want to. If they like the window up better, so what? Do it your way, and live and let live. Your code of ethics is *your* code of ethics in this case.

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers

I have to say it depends - if you're on the freeway, OK. If it is early or late season in a Northern climate, the windows up and the heater on is just mighty fine.

Reply to
Dave Danielson

Not in my car. :)

I'll gladly put the top up if a passenger doesn't like the wind, but if the top's down, the windows are down. Period.

And even less wind effect in a Callilac Sedan De Ville...

Reply to
Grant Edwards

You are supposed to be a loving husband. Put up the blasted windows already, OK?

Not quite the ideal note to strike either.

Actually, convertible owners are a pretty easy going bunch. (Somehow, my students do not seem to agree, but it is exam week next.)

You forget to point out that they are also posers, stupid, and an instant traffic jam, but you have a point here. :)

You are sound on BMW owners, but your gallantry could still be a bit improved.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

I agree with Col: when he said that the driver gets less wind with the passenger window all or part way up. Your results can vary with wind conditions of course but in absence of any serious wind, that has been my experience.

As far as ethics..... I prefer windows down but if the significant other wants it up, just think how much better you still look than those fools in Mustangs and 3-Series drop tops that go around all the time with the little back-side windows up. NOW THAT LOOKS STUPID!

Enjoy the ride, Chris

92BB&T
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

And in very muggy weather in the summer, sometimes I'll go with top down, windows up, and the AC on.

Reply to
Barry

My position? Whatever lets me drive the longest into winter with the top down. If keeping the windows up with the heater blasting lets me drive longer with the top down, so be it. Once I've put my motorcycle away for the winter, I can stay open air longer in my Miata.

My brother (10 years younger w/more hair) once said to me that I had a propensity for open-top vehicles. He said "I mean look, Don, everything you own doesn't have a top--your motorcycle, your sports car, your Geo Tracker, your head......"

Argh....younger brothers. Time to dump another load of triple-FG blackpower into one of his ashtrays.

DonB White '91 w/mods Old veteran whose paid his dues and will drive his sports car, motorcycle, or SUV however he pleases (but the car's gotta be white and the sun's gotta gleam off my bald spot!).

Reply to
DonB

And if *you* are going to preach code of ethics, at least learn to spell "Bimmer" correctly.

Reply to
tooloud

I call that "The LeBaron syndrome".

Reply to
tooloud

That's only acceptable with T-tops... in autumn...

You might suggest she buy herself an old Camaro.

Reply to
The Millers

Bimmer? Beemer? Is this a tomato/tomahto issue?

D>ty>> hmmmm.... if you are going to preach code of ethics, at least learn to

Reply to
DonB

No. The car is a Bimmer; the bike is a Beemer. Still, a lot of mistakes are made (perhaps by the same folk who use apostrophes to make plurals and have trouble with homonyms).

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Reply to
Dave

The problem I have with driving in the rain is that the water that runs sideways off the windshield onto the little "vent" windows then drips off the trailing edge of the vent windows and blows onto me. Same thing with windshield washer fluid.

I had hoped that they'd fixed this problem in the M2, but my

2003 still does it. :(
Reply to
Grant Edwards