Mazdaspeed MX-5 NC?

I would love to have one of both, but I can't do that, so even if they were the same price the NC MX-5 with hardtop wins for me based on:

  1. I'm single
  2. I have no kids at home
  3. it's a convertible
  4. I like how the NC MX-5 looks better, even with that ass raised up too high.
  5. Very infrequent need to move large items or more than two people, and the items tend to be too big for the miata or the RX-8 anyway.
  6. General rotary distrust. It's nifty, small and powerful, but I keep hearing "apex seals" in the back of my mind when I think of one.

Has this issue been fully resolved? How many miles are are the engines typically good for with proper care?

I do still want to drive the RX-8, though.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Well, I've had one of each vintage (91, 99, 06). Cant say that I mind the driving position on the NC - it does handle wind much better.

I dont mind the steering wheel - do like the tiltability and am still getting used to using the buttons. I naturally reach for the radio dial and have to think about using the radio controls on the wheel. Having the cruise control buttons on the wheel is convenient, but how often do you use cruise control in your Miata?

Larger issue for me is seating position. I just dont find the NC as confortable as either the NB or NA. It's a flatter seating position without as much support under your thighs. I used to feel cradled in my NB - not the NC.

On my 06 Sport I do like the (non-Bose) radio and speakers better, like all the new comparments, and especially like the one handed soft top that doesn't need a boot. That's what really sold me on it.

I also really liked the winning blue color. Most of the other colors were too dark for me. If it wasnt for the winning blue I probably would have waited a few more years for another color to come out I could live with.

Oh yeah - and it drives real nice...

Jon Weinberg

| email: jon at JonWeinberg daht com | web:

Jon Weinberg

Yikes! Maybe I'll just stick to test drives.

Seriously, Mazda should either have this issue fixed and advertise the hell out of this fact, or they should quit using rotary engines.

60,000 miles is far from acceptable mileage before major overhauls to the engine are typically required. Is this the same nightmare design as what was in the 3rd generation RX-7 or not? If not, what is different about it? Inquiring minds want to know....

Pat

Reply to
pws

There's one very major difference in the engine's layout: the intake and exhaust ports are in the side plates, not the periphery, so the apex seals don't pass over the ports. The downside of side ports is that it limits the engine to two rotors, where the old motor could stack them as modules (I think four was the most used).

However, the gen3 RX-7's problems were due to lots of boost with half-baked engine management systems. The car wasn't quite finished as delivered, in that its reliability depended on the driver being aware of its quirks and weak points, and willing to be an active part of engine management. Bad plan for the U.S. market....

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Thank you for the explanation sir.

Do you think that the RX-8 engine has the same level of durability and lifespan as the typical miata engine? Just wondering.

Pat

Reply to
pws

I've been assured by many that since the RX-8 is naturally aspirated, it doesn't suffer from the horrible reliability issues as the -7.

I didn't realize you were possibly in the market for one. I've been tossing the idea of an RX-8 purchase around for six months or so and am taking the same cautionary approach as you.

Reply to
tooloud

I'm not really, I will probably go with the NC with hardtop instead. Just interested in it in general. Why be practical? I have a mid-life crises coming up before too long. ;-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

No one yet knows. Since the typical (based on sales figures) Miata engine has a short-nosed crank, the Renesis could be better.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Two rotors are a limitng factor in any rotary engine regardless of port configuration. Adding more rotors is the same as joining two or more engines together.

Reply to
Chas Hurst

That is what I figured, and I guess an advertising campaign of "our rotary doesn't require high-dollar maintenance like the RX-7 did" might not be the best advertising strategy. Still, with the problem being so widely-known with the RX-7, it seems like some mention should have been made of this without the need for research. Maybe it was and I missed it.

Ahh, but both problems were confined to the first two year models of a new model design.

That is why I would not even consider a 2006 model, and will likely hold out for a 2008 model to make sure that any potential problems are worked out.

By late 1991 until they switched designs in 1999, I would describe the miata engine as near-perfect as far as long-term reliability from my experience with them. Even the thrust bearing problem was not universal, and I met a guy who had over 60,000 miles on his 1999 model before the end of the year 2000. He took it well beyond 150K miles with a lot of hard driving before he sold it, with the engine still running nicely.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Even when combined. A '99 head on a '94 block installed in a '91 miata is a beautiful thing. :-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

Mostly I wish Mazda had Honda's R&D budget.

That's a good thought! Trust me, WHEN you drive an RX-8 you'll understand! Now go do it! :-)

Later, Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Lanny, You're not answering the question ......... are you evading or did it just slip by you? I just wanted your opinion.

Snip: Lanny, you're probably right about that but, what do you think of the rotary

Thanks, Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

With RX-8 sales #'s tumbling (your salesman wont admit to that) the price may not be very far apart if you work it just right ;-)

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

I love my 1999 Mazda Roadster 1.8 but it did go through a hic-cup (?) about

2 years ago (35k miles always serviced) -started with the dreaded misfire, sorted with new leads then a few months later, passed its MOT but then - overheating resulting ina new radiator and then a a new lambda sensor and a new cat
Reply to
lurkio

I still think that overall build quality was at a higher level before

1996 or so than it was afterwards, with the exception of the short nose crank on '90 and some early '91 models. I have read and dealt with many M1 miatas, and most go well past 100,000 miles without needing major work even when they are not very well-maintained.

By contrast, I have seen and heard of a number of the newer/lower mileage M2's have something ruin the cat, and alternator problems in particular seem to happen earlier than before. The M2 coil problems are famous and are practically unheard of on the M1 until many years have passed. Even the oxygen sensors seem to go out faster now on average than with the first model.

Of course, replacing the cat is more difficult as well on the M2, since it is not a direct bolt-in unit. A car never gets easier or less expensive to work on as it develops.

This is not a slam on the M2 at all, they are great cars and I am still considering one. It will be interesting to see how the reliability of the NC holds up.

Pat

Reply to
pws

snip: How many miles are are the engines

Good question, don't know the answer to but, I was unpleasantly surprised when I came across an RX-8 sporting excellent condition, new engine, 60k miles. Scary!

I love the car though. Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

I don't remember ever hearing about more than a 2 rotor but I could have missed that. As for the RX-8 vs RX-7tt engines, there's a whole lot of differences according to a mazda tech I talked to, many / most of those differences specifically to enhance reliability. Between the short nose crank and the 99-2000 thrust bearing issues, I guess the miata has been somewhat less than perfect!

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Agreed on the bulletproofness of the NA and NB engines.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo