Miata A/C

I am looking to buy a used Miata and I would like to know what year they changed from R12 to R134A. I don't want to consider any that use R12 in the A/c. Are there any particular years that are better than others? Thanks.

Reply to
Bob
1994-onwards are CFC-free.

Reply to
Dave Danielson

Just about anything else you might want to know is located at the home page of miata.net go to FAQ's under 'tech' (top-left of page.

Chris

92BB&T
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Thanks for the info.

Reply to
Bob

Ok, I lamented and fretted over this same issue with my '91 Miata. It was low on Freon and R12 was not an option. So for the cost of $80, I took the offer of a service station that changed the stock nipples on the A/C of my '91 Miata and proceeded to pump R134A into it. The service tech said that the original strict mandate about upgrading other parts of the A/C were officially waived in lieu of evidence that using the existing parts with new nipples was good enough. So far, so good!

Reply to
Pat

Is there a reduction in cooling?

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Reply to
glenf

The old oil did need to be flushed out and replaced. There were some issues with some compressors that used plastic reed valves. Seems the new oil and R134a caused them to fail. I believe that the compressors at risk were mostly on US made cars and small trucks. Does pancake compressor ring a bell?

Reply to
chuckk