Miata references--Rod Grainger's book

I recently replaced the two dust boots under the shifter boot in my '91. Since I have a turbo under the hood, the cabin heat had reached the point where, on a hot day, I almost couldn't touch my metal shift knob. After replacement, all is well.

However, being new to Miatae, before starting I immediately referred to Rod's enthusiasts' manual, which I've heard was the "bible" for Miata owners. Nowhere in that manual could I find the procedure for dust boot replacement. I then turned to the alphabetical index, only to find there wasn't one.

I then drug out my Mazda MX5 Performance Projects book by Keith Tanner. While certainly not as comprehensive as Rod's book, it contained an outstanding description of the procedure, along with many other basic maintenance required on the MX5. It also had an index, and between the two books, it's the one with the dirty pages. In this case, Tanner's book was enormously more helpful than Grainer's.

So......two questions for the group:

  1. Can anyone find this procedure in Rod's manual and tell me where it is? It might have been staring me in the face and I just missed it, but could someone tell me it's at least in there somewhere?

  1. Do any others feel, as do I, that the omission of an alphabetical index in *any* reference book is a glaring deficiency?

DonB

Reply to
DonB