Monitor ignition timing using OBD interface?

My new 07 Miata is the first vehicle I've owned in a while that cared about octane. The last one, a Moto Guzzi from the 80s, was a real octane junkie. I learned with that bike that octane numbers at the pump didn't necessarily correspond to how the gas performed in my engine. I don't think it was due to bad labeling, just the fact detonation resistance of different fuels can stack up differently in different engines. I also found that the octane requirement changed quite a bit with temperature, and that low-octane gas + a certain additive (toluene, I think) worked out better than most pump hi-test.

With the Guzzi, there was no doubt about when octane was lacking, so it was easy to dial in just the right mix. With a modern car and its knock sensors, it might not be so obvious. I wonder it an OBD-based monitor ( like

)would be an effective tool for a car geek such as myself to keep an eye on ignition advance. It looks as though other information, such as gas mileage, is also viewable. I have no experience with OBD since the short-long code flashing versions, though, and wonder if the real-time ignition advance monitor function works on the NCs. Has anyone here tried it with on 06 or an 07? TNX, Dave

Reply to
no

I've been thinking about a ScanGauge II for the same reason.

Has anyone on board have experience with either of the devices?

Reply to
Doug Wilson

Wow, that's awesome! Beats the shmuck out of my old Compu-Cruise back in the

70's ;-)

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Yes, you can monitor ignition advance from the OBD2 connector. Just remember that what you see is what the car's computer thinks it is.

necessarily

Reply to
Chuck

Can you confirm that this function works on an NC MX-5 using a particular reader? From what I've read not every car puts out everything that the standard supports, and the standard is changing (something about C.A.N.?) that might limit which readers work. As long as the error between actual and indicated advance is primarily bias, it should be useful to compare octane.

Reply to
no

The NC is OBD CAN - The ignition timing is one of the parameters on the CAN sensor list for Mazda (I have not had a new MX-5 on a scanner yet with the product of your choice.) Timing is set in a response to engine load, which is computed from rpm and air flow, so it is one of the things looked at. It particular, since the ECU will remap the timing if you put the wrong type of gas in the car.

The MB is OBD II - I can confirm the timing advance is part of the data stream of Mazds and Saturn GM products (oddly, the intake manifold pressure is not reported in the Mazdaspeed turbo version.)

Most manufacturers now sell readers that can read the newer standard or both.

You may also want to look at

- it works with a pocket PC which may be morec>Can you confirm that this function works on an NC MX-5 using a particular

Reply to
M. Cantera

Thank you very much for the information!

Reply to
no

Wow, good info M. Cantera, I didn't realize so much info was available for what, about $150, that's amazing.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo