More horsepower

What is the best way to get a modest horsepower boost. I'm hoping for at least 20 for less than $500. Is this possible on a '97??? I'd love to have a supercharger but then again I'd love to have a Ferrari.

Reply to
jchristman

You're going to have a hard time getting 20 HP for that money. The JR CAI only offers approximately 10-12 HP for $350 (US dollars), and advanced timing with higher octane fuel may give a few more. Then, add headers and high flow exhaust and you'll probably hit the 20 HP mark, but you'll be way over the $500 mark.

As the old saying goes, "Speed costs - how fast do you want to go?"

Mike "Red '97" Verive snipped-for-privacy@mverive.com

Reply to
Michael Verive

I don't think you can get 20 for $500. You might get 3 to 5 with low restriction intake and what, 5 to 7 from a header? Your $500 is then pretty much gone, eh?

Have you bumped your timing to 14 or 18? It's a minimal gain but the price is right ('lil more expensive gas in hot weather)

Chris

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Ain't gonna happen, unless you can find someone willing to sell a used supercharger for that price. The most you'll get from replacing intake, header, cat, and exhaust is about 15 hp, and that would cost well over $1000 in parts alone.

You *might* squeeze 8 hp from $500 with a Randall cowl intake duct and a cheap catback like a Borla.

Better idea: buy a set of performance tires and a good alignment, and keep the tach over 4000 rpm.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

It's worth looking at some of the dyno charts that are out there to see where the horsepower really is in a small engine like the one in the Miata. Unless you're constantly bumping up against the rev limiter you're not using the horsepower you have, and most people--unless they're on a track--essentially never "need" more than probably 30 HP.

So from the "fun to drive" aspect it makes sense to try to figure out how to get 20 more HP, but realistically you can probably get 20 HP most easily by running the motor faster.

Reply to
DH

'97 90Hp '91 115Hp. Just find a pre '94 miata. swap and ask another 500$ more for the '97

schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@news.seniorglobe.org...

Reply to
dingo

Unfortunately, he lives in the US. In the US, the 97 has 133 hp, not 90. He would lose 15.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Another good reason to emigrate, leon !