Newbie

But if you read that one, you should immediately follow up with "Eats, Shites & Leaves: Crap English and How to Use It," by Antal Parody.

-- Larry

Reply to
pltrgyst

Nice! I'll put it on my list ;-)

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Assuming he's really that age.

And as no doubt Davoud would want pointed out - speaking accurately, you will not in fact ever truly get closer to his age until after he dies. Until then, both of you accrue age at an identical rate.

;)

miker

Reply to
miker

Why you ignoramous! I cannot believe anyone hear wood make a grammar or speling misteak, SHAME ON YOU!

As punishment, your forbidden to lie about you're gas mileage like the rest of us do....

Reply to
XS11E

Stephen Toth:

I think that I am to be taken pretty much at face value. If I ask a question it is because I want to know something. Someone posts, I ask a question, they answer, I learn. If I disagree, or think I know better, I might say so. Or not. I'm try to be an uncomplicated person.

As for being authoritarian, during my working career I liked to say "My idea of teamwork is when a bunch of people get together and do exactly what I tell them to do." My feeling was that when I'm retired and one of them has moved up to take my position and s/he thinks that s/he knows a better way, s/he can have her/his team do it his/her way. What some people call micromanagement has another, older name--attention to detail. It's a tried and true method of getting a job done right.

It's true that BS doesn't work well on me; I told you that I've been using off-brand fuels whenever I could for many years without ill effects. The same goes for 3,000 mi. oil changes. There, however, I would like to see the FTC step in and have the oil companies run ads telling the public that "we have been lying to you" about the need to change oil every 3k. You may be too young to remember that the FTC (or was it the FDA?) once required Wonder Bread to run a series of TV spots that had to include the words "we have been lying." (Their "low-cal" bread was lower-cal per slice *only* because the slices were thinner!)

I very much appreciated your "you may have worked in retail fuel channels" bit. I once managed an Enco (Humble Oil Co., pre Exxon) station in West Texas, but from now on I'm going to tell people that I once worked in retail fuel channels. :--)

Davoud

Reply to
Davoud

It was a loooooog time ago! I don't even remember breakfast...

You know what they say, "If you remember your 60s, you weren't there!" or something like that?

I know I was there because I came out the other side with less hair and a lot grouchier.

Reply to
XS11E

Davoud, I was optimistic that you would make a reasonable post. In fact I've really enjoyed most all of what you've commented (I know, you might well not care what I think, that's your choice and it's my choice to go ahead and say it anyway just in case you care. We've been thru all of this before as, you have,I'm sure) but I agree with Pat and several others that; if you don't mind, we could do without the grammar and punctuation lessons. You'll NEVER be able to fix us all and you'll never be happy trying so why not just accept us flawed folks as we are and try to enjoy the group?! As I said previously, we can definitely benefit from new blood and new blood with an edge, is even better.

I'm still hoping to hear a bit more about that Austin Healey 3000 the OP mentioned and I have more than a hunch that you can share some sports car stories. Remember, we're not your team, your just one of the team members here, enjoy it! It's allot more fun than being in charge all the time ;-)

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

60's? I only had to hit the other side of 25 before my hair began the inevitable decline from head down to shoulders and back.

I don't actually have less hair, it simply migrated South.

As far as grouchy, I was more grouchy in my early 30's than I am now as I finally chase down 40 in a few months. It may just be caused by astonishment that I made it to this rather advance age. ;-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

Excellent post, Chris.

Chris is one of the most decent and kind people I have ever met in my life. Heeding his advice has never led me astray and I feel lucky to count him amongst my good friends.

Pat

Reply to
pws

LOL! But, if you'd spent your career in English academic channels and had some true experience, you might realize that perhaps he didn't intend to use the opening parenthesis and thus the correct fix would be to negate the opening parenthesis rather than add a superfulous and potentially confusing closing parenthesis.

miker

Reply to
miker

THE UNCLOSED PARENTHESIS, a fable

It was a cool day in Assam, so the Embassy aide decided to take a walk on the scenic path by the lake. But a few minutes into his stroll, a group of wild eyed citizens, shouting in Bengali - or was it Manipuri? - came running down the footpath in the other direction, almost knocking him off his feet. "Hmmm, I wonder what that was all about?" he wondered. "Not being a linguist, I suppose I shall never know."

Just then he saw yet another panicked Assamese, whom the aide recognized as one of the Embassy's local personnel, come running toward him. This was Satya Choudhary, a fellow who was quite well-educated, possessing Mumbai-flavored English, Arabic, and several of the bewildering array of languages used on the subcontinent, despite his regrettable disability - he was mute and could only "speak" with sign language or written notes.

"I say, Satya, what is all this yelling and running about? Those people nearly ran me over!"

Satya pulled a note pad and pencil from his pocket and hurriedly scribbled, "Run for your life, sir, there's a man eating tiger on the loose!" He tore the page off the pad, thrust it into the aide's hand, and took off running.

The aide looked down at the note and chuckled. He swiveled around and stood staring at Satya sprinting away down the footpath. "Why, this is too funny! According to Satya, some fellow has gotten so hungry he's decided to eat a tiger! I wonder where this very hungry man is? I'd like to have a look at him. (I don't suppose Satya could have meant 'man-eating tiger' as he neglected to include the hyphen, without which the phrase must logically refer instead to a man eating a ti..."

But alas, he never did get to close that last parenthesis.

yrs jp

Reply to
johnny p.

THANK YOU JOHNNY! That's great stuff! How can a man not take that with a sense of humor? It's beyond me!

That's great! Don't forget about my Panda who: eats, shoots and leaves! ;-)

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

nope, I'm not. I'm not the one trying to justify my actions.

I expect our US Diplomatic staff to embody the highest standards of conduct while in a foreign country. You are a guest in their country. I am ashamed that you would ignore their laws, which seem to be an annoyance to you, while representing us. Please keep in mind that, if employed by the US State Department, you work for the American Taxpayer. Just say thank you, and cash your checks.

Squat

Davoud:

pws:

My wife and I use seven Macs in our home. I killed the thread on the two MacBook Pro's that I generally utilize for Usenet.

I came across Squat's post on a different Mac upon my return from my recent trip, and, having forgotten about the thread and the fact that I killed it on two other Macs, I replied to Squat's idiotic post, just as I am replying to your idiotic post. Be my guest. na-na-na na-na away until your stupid tongue falls out, cretin. You're not becoming sicko obsessed with me, are you, cupcake?

Davoud

P.S. Now you've cost me the time to go around to all five other Macs to kill this thread. I am grateful for the reminder, however!

Reply to
Davoud

That is a lie. Just like your other lies. It is also a sad attempt to cover yourself when caught in said lie.

You just forgot about it, did you? That happens a lot when you can't keep track of what you did or did not tell the truth about.

Remember the saying about not needing a good memory if you don't lie? Here is a perfect example of that.

Another lie, as you are still reading this thread, Davoud. I was correct the first time and I am correct this time. Your behavior is very predictable.

It is actually impossible for a troll such as yourself to not read the results of your baiting attempts. That is why I am positive that you are reading this, despite your sad attempts to explain why you did not kill the thread like you said you were going to do.

Pat

Reply to
pws