NB praises on TOP GEAR

Found it! You've really got to see this one, it's a great Top Gear show. There's great historical references and even some old racing footage.

Chris Long live the NB--

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Nice! I really need to find me an empty airstrip this summer.

We have it good over here in terms of cost. That guy was saying a used MX-5 is a good value at 12,000 - in pounds. That's like $24K! You might be able to wrangle a new PRHT MX-5 for that over here. I paid a little more than 12K _dollars_ for my '03 earlier this year. Not to mention gas is close to double over there as well.

ZZ Eric

03CCGW
Reply to
earache

You certainly have it good with regards to buying and running cars but even in the UK they have it easy. I bought a 1999 1.8 with aprox.

60,000 miles on it at New Year so it was for a winter bargain price. It cost me 170,000 Kr which is almost $31.000 and when I filled up the gas the other day it was around $7.30 per gallon!

I won't even start talking about insurance :-(

Kind regards Bruno

PS. The Top Gear guy failed to mention that actually has a MX-5 which in my mind only means he is serious when praising the car and not just saying what everybody else is.

Reply to
Bruno

Bruno, can you clarify this please? Are you saying he owns one? I don't know about that. He could but, I saw another episode where he compared the MX-5, the MR2 Spyder and the newest little MG. The MG he was comparing was actually HIS! I thought it was pretty interesting. He admitted it couldn't hold a candle to the other two but said it was only about 2/3's the price and that it was pretty much hand made. Of course, he also said it was better styling than the other 2 so, he lost HUGE credit with me for that but, to each his own.

Chris

99BBB

Oh, Bruno, remind me please where do you live? Australia? Netherlands? I know I should know but forgive me.

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

I am pretty sure he mentioned owning one at some time. I think it was in a segment where he raced a Greyhound dog in an MX-5. I shall try and dig up some facts.

I don't know

It could all be true. I have seen a episode where Richard drives a old US muscle car telling it's his (I think it was a beefed up Mustang) and there has been a few hints about him owning an old 911 over the years.

I think some of those guys change cars pretty often. To my knowledge Clarkson had a Ford GT at one time, which kept breaking down, and he recently has bought a Gallardo Roadster

I found some info on Wiki and here is a few quotes.

"Hammond is a Porsche enthusiast, and particularly likes the Porsche

911. His left-hand drive Porsche 911 has appeared on Top Gear in the studio. He also owns a Dodge Charger, two Land Rovers, a Suzuki GSXR1000, a BMW 1150 GS, a Harley Davidson, a Ducati 1098, a second Porsche 911, a Morgan V6 Roadster, a 1968 Ford Mustang and several kit cars."

Rover, a Fiat Panda, a Porsche 911, a Porsche Boxster S (May claims this is the first car he has ever purchased new[3]), a Mini Cooper and several motorbikes. He has a penchant for prestige cars like Rolls Royce and Bentley, as well as simple and basic cars.

Mercedes-Benz SLK55, a Volvo XC90, a Ford Focus, and an ex-military Land Rover Defender, and used to own a Ford GT. His experiences with his Ford GT are well documented, having had many issues with the satellite tracker/alarm system - he reported that it would tell him the car had been stolen even when he was driving it, among other problems, including the rev limit inexplicably being reset to

600 rpm. As a result of what he called "the most miserable month's motoring possible", he returned it to Ford for a full refund. After a short period, including asking Top Gear fans for advice over the Internet, he bought back his GT. He has called it "the most unreliable car ever made", due to his never being able to complete a return journey using it.[20] In the October 2006 edition of Top Gear Magazine James May stated that Clarkson was looking to purchase a Gallardo Spyder. Clarkson announced at MPH'06 that he h ad ordered the Gallardo Spyder, with orange seats, and that he sold the Ford GT to make way for it. He has owned many exotic or high performance cars, including a Mercedes SL55 AMG, and a Ferrari F355.[21] He has also owned a 1970s Alfa GTV6, and has a passion for the marque, declaring famously on Top Gear, "You are not a petrol-head until you've owned an Alfa". In his book I Know You Got Soul the Alfa 166 was one of only three cars classified as having that "special something". Clarkson quotably called the Brera, Alfa's latest sports car, "Cameron Diaz on wheels".

No mentioning of Hammond owning an MX-5 or and MGF for that matter just like the Wiki article fails to mention him owning an Fiat Barchetta.

Nothing to forgive - it is not like I have a signature or mail adress giving it away (hmm - maybe I should think about getting a signature).

I live in Denmark some 10 km from the center of our nations capitol Copenhagen. I'm the member of a national MX-5 club but I like some more perspective on things so I this why I read and post in this group.

Kind regards Bruno

Reply to
Bruno

dreader1.cybercity.dk might be a hint, I dread. :)

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

True - that does however require looking at some rather technical IT stuff so that is not for everyone. 2nd nature to some but not even in the "Nice to know" section of the world to others - I have friends which think computer knowledge is like the most boring thing in the world:-)

A more friendly high tech way is using Google Earth except that it requires info not just found in the source of an e-mail (unless you have access to confidential info from the ISP in question).

If you paste the line below into the "Fly To" field in Google Earth you'll find the exact location of my apartment:

55.75222465553803, 12.52029320372283

No chance of spotting my MX-5 anywhere I'm afraid - the pictures Google use are from 2005.

Kind regards Bruno

Reply to
Bruno

I remember that episode, pretty cool. Don't remember the ownership reference though.

Oh man! That's the car, the Fiat Barchetta, not the MG, my bad!

I too absolutely LOVE the little bit of "worldly" view we get here, keep it up. We can't all be from Austin, TX!

Chris

99BBB Sugar Land TX (Houston burb)
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

I noticed on the you tube page the Merc 550CL - I assume this is the 500 in the UK - the price $100K, how sad its £100K (twice as much) in the UK

Reply to
Tommy

I'll need to wait until at work. I am on a plain phone line at home.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen