Notchy Shifts

My 95 Miata seems to not be shifting as smoothly as it once did..Kinda' notchy, esp from 1-2 and 2-3..The higher gears are smooth...Really bad when it's cold.

Is this something I can adjust or should I let a pro do it?

Reply to
joe

Changing your own fluids and boots are something the average person should be able to do, and give you a warm and fuzzy feeling at the same time.

Change out the transmission and turret fluid with Redline MT-90 oil, or MTL if you drive in a real cold climate. You will also find that the 2 inner shifter boots on your shifter are going to be shot. The pair are called - Inner Boot Kit 94-03 and run $45.52 from

You can call Trussville Mazda and talk to Marshall @ 1-800-633-8285. He is the goto parts guru there. If you don't have a Redline oil distributor in your area, you can buy a couple of quarts from Trussville at the same time. Changing your own fluids are not hard at all with a good jack and some good jack stands, or a set of ramps. A couple of good write ups can be found in the garage section at
Here is a good article on how to change your shift boots.
and here is an even better one with step by step pictures
You can find about all you will ever need to know in the Miata.net forums.
Disclaimer: No affiliation to Trussville Mazda, just a happy customer that buys a bunch of stuff from them at one time to save postage.

Reply to
Mike