Notchy gear shift only 1st & 2nd

Okay, wife's 1999 Mazda 323 1.8 (with 41K miles) gearbox is slightly notchy/stiff.

I did took the easy option and changed the gearbox oil with a good quality synthetic but no joy.

Hoping someone can diagnose the problem exactly, here's the symtoms:

  1. *Occasionally* stiff shifting from 1st to 2nd or from 2nd to 1st.

  1. Doesn't make any difference whether the gearbox is cold or not.

  2. Doesn't make any difference whether the car is in motion or not.

  1. I think it still does it even if double-clutching, although will have to look into this one more as it only occurs *occasionally*.

Just wondered if it could be something like the clutch (which is original) isn't disengaging fully? Although I'd expect it to cause problems changing in other gears and not just between 1st & 2nd ?

Does the problem sound like the gear selector fork or collar? If so, is this a gearbox rebuild? Which I've heard can cost almost as much as a new gearbox!

As I say, it's only happens occasionally, well it's a bit stiff/notchy a little bit most of the time, but about once in a while it'll 'catch you out' in your gear shifting and you'll end up bringing the clutch up without the gear being properly selected!!! This is what I want to avoid - breaking the gearbox.

Reply to
Johnny

Sounds like the clutch not disengaging properly. 1st & 2nd are always harder to engage simply 'cos of the gear ratio. My 2001 M3 is also like this

Reply to
adder1969

I had exactly the same problem that was slowly getting progressively worse (95 Cav), 2 minutes under the bonnet diagnosed a pin within the gear selector linkage had cracked and was in the process of working itself loose. Also noticed at the time increased play with the gear stick. Replaced with a M8 bolt and captive nut, been fine ever since.

Might not be the same in your case, but worth a 2 minute check with a torch

Regards

Reply to
Mike Dodd

I had the same problem with a Nissan - dealer told me they stopped using EP

90 in the gear box and told meto try using engine oil in the gear box and low and behold it worked.

It maybe worth a try - I no some of the fiats use engine oil also.

HTH Martin

Reply to
Marty1a

I haven't tried it myself, but with Nissans I hear they like gear oil with friction modifiers added, as oil that's too 'slippery' stops the synchromesh working properly; the additives add a bit of friction. Redline MT90 (expensive here) is the usual recommendation from our U.S. friends.

Reply to
SteveB