First question(s)

Of many, I'm sure.

OK, picked up my first ever Miata this morning. It's a '96. Everything seems fine, it drives great and I haven't noticed anything that doesn't work. I have noticed when idling that if I switch the fan speed from 1 to

2, the rpms drop to almost a stall, then it recovers after a few seconds. If I switch it to 3 or 4, no problem. Switching back from 3 to 2 seems ok, as well. It only appears to happen when going from 1 to 2.

I suspect a short or a bad switch. Any other ideas on this? Can I fix it myself or will this require a pro?

Thanks,

-Fred

Reply to
The Millers

Is the a/c switch on? A/C loads the engine, causing it to rev a bit lower. This load is automatically compensated by the idle air control valve, same with power steering load . If everything is ok, turning A/c on should momentarily reduce RPM. but is should readjust back to maybe 1000 rpm, from

850 rpm without a/c.

Reply to
Daniel

Actually, it's sort of the opposite. The A/C is definitely off when this happens. When I do switch the A/C on, it seems to have little impact on idle.

Again, when I switch the fan from 1 to 2, the idle drops closer to 500.

Reply to
The Millers

Same thing's been happening to my '91 for the 25K I've put on the car, though nearly any other electrical drain such as lights or even a turn of the steering wheel (w/power steering) does it. I've never considered it a prob. I probably need a new battery but I'm sticking with the "if it ain't broke...." theory.

DonB

Reply to
DonB

The air conditioner is not on until the switch is depressed and the fan is turned on. I read somewhere that the ECU will actually alter the RPM's on like a 3 or 4 fan setting, but not 1 or 2.

Reply to
Mike

Looks like fan speed 2 is big load for the battery? Not sure what to recommend at this point.

Reply to
Daniel