Perimeter Shock Sensor Alarm

(Editor's Note: I've only owned my '03 Miata SE for 10 days now, and this is the 3rd time I've imposed on the communal intellect of the folks who hang out in this newsgroup - what a fine buch of people!)

I inquired with the Mazda dealer who sold me my Miata as to the cost of adding a perimeter shock sensor alarm (after the sale). The car, by the way already has remote keyless entry. They said it would be installed by a local shop (not the dealer) and cost $320 installed. They also said if I had it installed though the dealer, it would be covered under the Mazda bumper to bumper warranty. I'm not certain if they'd be installing the Mazda alarm system (part # 0000-8F-DO4A). I told them I'd think about it.

Then I called another Mazda dealer, this one being the only such dealer in the small town in which I live. They quoted me $205 for the Mazda perimeter shock sensor alarm. As to installation cost, they said they've never installed one and had no idea how long it would take without looking at the instructions, once I ordered the part. They said it could take only an hour or two if my car is pre-wired for such an installation, or it could take 4 -

5 hours, if not pre-wired.

My questions for the group are:

  1. Is there an easy way to tell whether my SE is pre-wired for a Mazda alarm system installation?

  1. If I am to get an alarm at all, is the perimeter shock sensor alarm the way to go? (Read between the lines: Alan is not certain what the heck this type of alarm system does. Does it give the would-be intruder a 50KV shock or does it merely trigger the alarm if the car is jostled?)

Thanks, Alan

Reply to
AlanRab