2005 Ford Escape proximity alarm problem

The horn alarm on my 2005 Ford Escape keeps going off while I am at work, probably 1-2 times a day. It also goes off at home if I leave the car outside, but if I park in the garage it does not go off. It is a standard factory proximity alarm, whatever usually comes with that vehicle.

I took the car to the dealership. Of course the car sat there for 3 days and never went off, even though they left it outside and they are near a loud airfield! They told me they could not fix it unless it went off while in their possession. Otherwise they do not know which is the faulty sensor.

I asked if they could disable the alarm, they said no thats not possible.

I heard this is a common problem; in fact my in-laws had the same issue and it was never resolved during their 2 year lease.

The car is a 2 year lease so I don't want to get a new alarm or anything.

Do I have any other options?

Thanks!

Reply to
Dave

Possibly cats, or a large possum or raccoon in the area? How about dogs or kids? Does it happen every day that it's outside, and does it happen about the same time of the day or night? Just some things to think about before your next visit to the dealer.

SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom

there are no critters around my work, but there are semi trucks delivering stuff in a neighboring parking lot. at home I have a relatively peaceful neighborhood. I can only suspect that passing cars make it go off... BUT ... It seems so intermittent that I suspect its really going off for no reason.

BTW, when it goes off it has weird behavior (not normal for an alarm)

- Horn beeps for I'd say less then 30 seconds

- Horn stops, but turn signal flashers keep flashing after that. Not sure how long the flashers flash, because I usually stop them from flashing by hitting the unlock button on my key fob. I suspect, however, that the alarm has gone off while I'm unaware and so that implies the flashers cease at some point on their own.

I never heard of a car alarm that stops on its own. Even the dealer was perplexed by that - but didn't offer a solution.

If there's no way to fix this, I'd like to just turn off the alarm, disable it somehow.

Reply to
Dave

It was the hood sensor on my Lincoln Mark VIII. Pulled the connector and no more false alarms.

Reply to
Sharon K. Cooke

updated info. I am sitting nearer the door today so I can hear if it goes off. It just went off and only lasted for 10 seconds or so, then the flashers kept flashing as previously reported.

Sharon - is this something thats easy to do? Secondly aren't there a bunch of sensors on a car? How would you know it was the hood? Thanks

Reply to
Dave

Most Ford products have alarm sensors for the hood, doors, trunk, and ignition. The weather 'boot' on the plunger for the hood alarm (on a Mark VIII anyway) is the only alarm sensor that is close to being exposed to the elements. I just pulled the connector, and the 2 AM wakeup call went away.

Ed C.

Reply to
Sharon K. Cooke

OK I am a real rookie I hate to admit it, but I'll take a look and give that a try. I don't want to pull the wrong thing obviously. I don't suppose service manuals are free online that would tell me where this connector is, what it looks like etc... I think I'll hit up my buddy.

Thanks

Reply to
Dave

replying to Dave, Renay wrote: Hi. I know this is an old thread, but I have an '06 Escape that's doing the same thing. I'll do as you recommend Sharon and hope I find the culprit. Dave, was that the problem, and was it corrected?

Reply to
Renay