Radiator problems

Today, my radiator blew. Since it is plastic, would these (1990) be considered throw-away? Has anyone repaired their radiator or replaced it?

Thanks in advance. ~Cissy Organize Your Sock Drawer :-D Cissy Mazda Miata

Reply to
Expmiata

Pitch it and get a copper one....

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

Pitch it and get a copper one....

Jerry

Thanks Jerry.... ~Cissy Organize Your Sock Drawer :-D Cissy Mazda Miata

Reply to
Expmiata

What blew? If the core is bad (the aluminum part) a good radiator shop may just crimp a new one on your old tanks (with new gaskets) and it will be good as new. No need to replace tanks that aren't broken. I've done this a couple of times. On the other hand, with the competition in the radiator business, you can get a higher capacity replacement for about $120-$140. Auto trans radiators are said to increase your coolant capacity (on manual trans Miatas). I bought a radiator recently for my Miata. The new one is a single row plastic and aluminum auto trans spec. While it's only one row, that row is at least twice as large as on the old radiator, about 3/4 in. or more. I'm really impressed by the quality and fit of this radiator, it's a Koyo A1140. I got it from

for $128.00, they call it an

1140KO. You have to specifiy the KO, the first one they sent me was an all metal unit. They were very nice about letting me take it back to their local distributor and exchanging it. I definitely would order over the phone, not online, so you can specify exactly what you want.

There's no simple answer to the copper/brass versus aluminum/plastic debate. Though plenty of people here think they have the true answer. For an interesting discussion on this subject see:

John ('94 Miata) jsgmcclary at cox dot net

Reply to
John

Ditto. And you might as well get the one intended for automatic transmission, since it's nearly twice the capacity. Just ignore the transmission fluid connections at the bottom. Find one online for under $150 delivered.

This is an easy driveway job, Cissy. It won't take you an hour, from pulling the drain plug to topping off the overflow bottle. If you need new radiator hoses or accessory belts, it's a good time to install them as well.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Thanks, John and Lanny..

We replaced the radiator which we picked up locally. It's Modine brand, metal. Double the capacity. Doesn't run cooler, but looks nice! LOL

Yah, it took us about 30 mins to install with all hookups in place.

Thanks everyone. I am happy and so is my Miata Cissy

Reply to
Expmiata

To me the simple answer is that every plastic tank radiator on cars I've owned has failed, including plastic tank replacements. No all metal radiator replacements have failed. End of story.

Mazda

Reply to
chuckk