Windshield chips

my 92 has numerous chips or pits in the front windshield. I first noticed it about 5 years ago, and it's getting worse. Has anyone else got this, and any cure shy of an entire new replacement? I don't drive where I get many rock chips. What has caused this? Thanks in advance Jim Jim Jim's Miata Web Page

Reply to
Jim

I have a quite a few on my windshield too. The Japan car makers must have nailed making the light bulbs right on the head and failed on making the windshields bullet proof. I have read on this board that windshield replacement is not too bad of a cost compared to other cars. Good luck.

Miata

Reply to
Mike

I always assumed cars as low to the ground as the Miata would be more susceptible to debris hitting the windshield.

Reply to
Frank Berger

What a shitty music on your page!!!

"Jim" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m20.aol.com...

Miata

Reply to
Ronald

But the page is very nice and the car also!!!!

"Ronald" schreef in bericht news:3f8fc42d$0$21713$ snipped-for-privacy@news.versatel.net...

Reply to
Ronald

I'd say Jim has a great sense of humour, something you are sadly lacking. Although I guess I would also have rather negative outlook if I had to live in a country as flat as a pancake... not exactly prime sports car territory.

Jim, Steve Martin would be proud of the opening riffs on your web page. He used to play a mean "Foggy Mountain Breakdown" in the middle of his stand-up comedy act.

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen F.

Well, after two transcontinental road trips with a fair number of dirt roads and 18-wheelers flying by, and the normal dirt-n-boulder backroads here in Quebec, the Rollerskate has accumulated only one winshield rock chip. Unfortunately it's right in my line of sight so I notice it all the time.

I've been pondering on acquiring something with the same index of refraction as the glass and gooping it in there. Crazy Glue and Canada balsam came to mind but I haven't had the nerve to try it yet.

-- Nora (imagine a Canadian flag here) =======================and the Rollerskate (imagine a '99 gleaming silver Miata here)

HOME PAGE
Rollerskate
FFFR 4 pix
RATG III pix
NH Spring Run
FFFR5 maps
HOUSE!

Miata

Reply to
Nora

You might want to take a razor blade and carefully scrape the entire windshield. I found that a lot of what I thought were chips were actually bugs...

Miata

Reply to
DH

There a number of chip repair services available. Here in Arizona, they are often working at service stations. With the heat here, a chip can expand into a full-blown crack.

These services can give quite good results, but can also result in a milky look at the point of repair. I have used Harmon Glass, which I believe is nationwide. They have a proprietary process, which inculdes ultraviolet curing. In many cases, the repair is invisible. (No relationship, just a customer).

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie McCulloch

I think this sort of music calls up pleasant memories for a lot of us *familiar with the style*. While pleasant, if I heard this type of music for the first time, I would *not* think it was particularly interesting or funny.

Shall we just all accept our uniqueness?

And if you think the Netherlands is not a great Miata country, you have never seen Friesland, Zeeland, its medieval city centers, and too many beautiful spots right in the middle of the urban sprawl of Randstand Holland.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Jim I think I would go for a replacement if the scraping method doesn't work. Shouldn't be too expensive at all :)

I love your sense of humor AND your page...music and all :) ~Cissy Organize Your Sock Drawer :-D Cissy Mazda Miata

Reply to
Expmiata

What is wrong with you? This gentlemen came to the Miata board with a very simple straight forward question and this is how you reply? I don't think he asked you about the music on his page, only about the windshield.

Isn't this what the Miata Newsgroup is all about? Helping with questions?

geeeze.... and yeah, I have music too.....turn off speakers :-P ~Cissy Organize Your Sock Drawer :-D Cissy Mazda Miata

Reply to
Expmiata

When I was on my way to Alaska, someone at a gas station in BC told me I would be replacing my windshield. So I was. :( Anyway, the generic replacement that a local shop pushed in

1999 for a couple of hundred bucks is perfectly fine after 4 years. Even the mirror is still firmly glued to the glass. :) (I invert the mirror to clear my view unless the top is up.)

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

your car and page are beautifull also. and the music is also shitty.....!

"Expmiata" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m25.aol.com...

Reply to
Ronald

Ronald, Ronald, Ronald... Since I've deleted your previous comments to me (I'm assuming it was you) I wouldn't have wasted my time to respond, but now you've taken on a friend. You obviously don't like the dimension that midis add to web pages, and that's fine. Just keep your childish comments to yourself. I appreciate comments regarding my pages, but not in that tone, nor on a public board. Email me if you'd like to have your say! Like Cissy said, there's a mute button (and even the choice to not visit) if it's bothering you. Thanks to all the others with valued comments regarding the windshield glass. Seems glass is one of the few weaknesses Miatas have. Someday I'll probably replace it, as I've now crossed the 11th year with this car with selling not in the future. Jim Jim's Miata Web Page

Reply to
Jim

I didn't always like banjo music, but I wouldn't jump down someone's throat about the music playing in the background of their website, especially when the particular website is quite informative and interesting. If he'd tagged the comment about the music at the end of a post with some useful content, I wouldn't have responded, but as a stand alone comment, I thought Jim's web page deserved a "thumbs up" as a counter-argument. Besides, he has a music off button, which I agree is a necessity for any web page with (a) banjo music or (b) MIDI music.

I've certainly enjoyed my trips to and through the Netherlands and have travelled extensively through Belgium, northern Germany etc., and of course Zandvoort ranks near the top of my list of best racetracks, but you still would have to drag me kicking and screaming away from the mountains to spend much time there, especially as the beautiful spots here generally are not accompanied by any sort of urban sprawl. The mountain biking and kayaking are also considerably better here!

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen F.