rattle from undercarriage of 1991 miata

Would appreciate intelligence about rattle from undercarriage; a tinny, sheet metal-like rattle that is loudest on deceleration, hardly noticeable on acceleration, and silent when clutch is depressed. Had mechanic check out heat shield, which he said he secured. Noise persisted. Will not make any noise in idle at any RPMs. (Just got new clutch about 1,000 miles ago. Same noise before and after new clutch.) Another mechanic said it was the catalytic converter which seemed reasonable. Installed new cat converter, but rattle persists. No symptoms other than noise, car is running well. Sound takes joy out of downshifting. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Will F

On my 91A, it was a combination of the catalytic converter shield (which was removed for free) and a shield on the pipe just ahead of the catalytic converter. That rattle was cured by a new hose clamp to tighten the shield back onto the pipe. I have heard that banging on the exhaust system with a rubber mallet is a good way to find rattles. It would be best done on a lift instead of in the driveway. ;-)

Reply to
Mike