Re-using Koni shocks?

I finally took my Konis off the '96M today. They are not as pretty as when I installed them a little less than 50,000 miles ago, but they were working great when the car went down.

I am either going to re-use these on a project car or sell them. My question is, what kind of life can I reasonably expect out of the shocks before they would need to be replaced or re-valved? They have had pretty gentle use during the time on the car.

Also, the rubber bushings on the bottom connecting point of the front shocks has "settled" and are no longer 100% in line. It is only a slight angle, and it looks the same on both sides, but I am wondering if this could present a problem for the next car that wears this set of Konis.

One of the main advantages is that the the shock towers have been drilled out and the shocks already have stock springs pre-mounted, so it is a quick swap, plus the shock towers only have 75K on them so they have some good life left in them.

Any advice, tips or hints would be appreciated.

Pat

Reply to
pws

I've always heard that the good performance shocks (Koni, KYB and such) are pretty much lifetime units on a miata (due to it's light weight possibly). In other words if they don't begin to leak fluid or show some other obvious problem they are probably fine. Obviously a potential buyer is going to expect quite a bargain for taking a risk on old shocks but on my own car, I wouldn't hesitate.

Just my 2 cents Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo