Rebuild vs. factory reconditioned 1.6 - advice?

Any experience out there for comparisons? I have had two bad experiences now with factory reconditioned engines, and two other data points, but want to compare with engines rebuilt by Flyin' Miata or others...any advice?

Wendy's second reconditioned engine lost #2 compression right out of warranty (of course) and I am considering putting a rebuilt engine in.

The other question is, she has almost 200K miles on her (original parts include tranny and rear end, FWIW) and I'm wondering if that is even a wise thing to do at this point...although it is still a lot cheaper than a new car.

Help!

Jeannie and an unhappy Wendy

Reply to
Jeannie

I'd consider a junkyard engine with less than 100k on it. It should be so much cheaper, you'd have little to lose.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Reply to
Christopher Muto