How fast does the top go up?

it goes up so fast that when there were a few drops tonight I had the Cool Breeze Scoop off and the top up in the time it took for a normal light to turn from red to green. No more than 30 seconds at the most. All from the drivers seat.

Reply to
Bubbamike_01

I can get my soft top up in 10-15 seconds if I have to.

Reply to
Frank Berger

I have not yet been caught in a Florida downpour at the wrong moment with my 2006 yet, but I am estimating 1.25-1.75 seconds. I am sure I did better than 10 seconds on my 96 with the boot cover on, and the 06 does not have one, it is just raise and latch.

You do not want to wait 30 seconds raising the top after you come to a stop in our downpours! :)

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

I was referring to getting the top up and latched, window zipped, driver and passenger windows up. Somehow I don't think that can be accomplished in less than 2 seconds.

Reply to
Frank Berger

Window zipped? Not on a 2006, nor on my 96. Step out, pull up the top, and latch.

I was talking about raising the top, not the windows. Windows are slow but normally in that kind of circumstances, I already have them mostly up before I slow down the car, just cracked enough that they don't take a microsecond off raising the top. Back in the car, I raise them the final bit.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Step out? Just reach back there, grab it with your right hand, and lift. It can probably even be done while driving with the left hand, but I don't really recommend it. ;)

Reply to
Grant Edwards

I've got one -- it's a Hard-dog Deuce (double hoop). ;)

It's actually pretty difficult to do (physically). It's an awkward angle, and one of these days I'll probably hurt myself.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Well I had to stop, pull the CBS, toss it on the passenger seat, reach back and flip the release, pull up the top and latch it. But it was quick. I just should have said "in a flash."

Reply to
Bubbamike_01

Stop car, get out, unsnap tonneau cover from dash and mirror on drivers side and release rear snap by seatbelt tower. Walk around car, repeat for passenger side. Lift tonneau cover clear of rear rail.

Fold tonneau cover, open trunk, stow tonneau cover.

Grab top and lift, get into car, lift back window and zip it up, latch top to windshield header, close and lock doors, roll up windows. (This part would be faster with a plastic window or the later modification that allows the top to be put down w/o unzipping the glass window but that won't happen until I get a new top.)

At least 15 minutes, maybe longer. When the forecast is rain, I put the top up before leaving the house!

Reply to
XS11E

I stopped using the tonneau after a year or so. Not worth the trouble. The top and window are still in good shape after 11 years.

Reply to
Frank Berger

I'd rather have a tonneau covered with pigeon poop than sit in a seat covered with pigeon poop. As always, YMMV ;-)

Reply to
XS11E

Most of us who do not use tonneau covers raise our tops when leaving the car, especially when parking under trees, overhangs, etc.

I do see an amazing number of convertibles, however, that are parked under trees with the top down in the summertime. There have to be a few of them coming out to see this, but inside the car as well.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Jeez, it looks like the birds were using that poor Miata for target practice!

I have a cockpit cover that I use when parked with the top down. It covers the windshield as well so that's one less thing to clean. And when dirty, it can be thrown in the washing machine.

Unfortunately, bird poop is the least of my worries since Sunday - see

for the details. I find out her fate tomorrow morning.

Iva & Crunched Belle.( '90B Classic Red.( #3 winkin' Miata

Reply to
Iva

It takes me probably 5 times as long to put the top up as the undo/redo the tonneau cover. I have to zip/unzip the window, I can't raise the top from inside the car, I have to raise the windows, etc.

Reply to
XS11E

In 11 years, my seats got pooped on once (not counting the other time the poop hit my shoulder). I guess the birds have bad aim in Dallas.

Reply to
Frank Berger

As do I. I also do this simply to provide shade from the hot Dallas sun.

Reply to
Frank Berger

I've already reported it takes me less than 15 seconds to do all that if I hurry.

Reply to
Frank Berger

Sorry to see that. Glad that it was at least a semi-swipe and not a direct T-Bone.

It may still have a sound frame, it is impossible to tell from the picture. Then it is up to you, and possibly an insurance company, whether it is worth fixing. Just firing up the paint gun at a good shop is a decent percentage of the car's blue book value.

Good luck!

Pat

Reply to
pws

That is a big factor, it helps avoid 3rd degree burns and heat exhaustion while driving. :-)

Of course, lately, all you have had to do is park outside and the rain and hail will quickly cool it down. Man, this has been crazy weather all over Texas this year.

Pat

Reply to
pws

What "hot Dallas sun"? You can't possibly be talking about Dallas, Texas can you? Where it seldom ever get to a comfortable 110-120 we enjoy here?

Reply to
XS11E