Single or Double Roll Bar?

I am looking to get a roll bar for a Mazda Miata possibly from Boss Frog:

I need to make an intelligent choice between the single and the double. My main concern is functionality and safety not looks, and price is no object. I know nothing about roll bars. Comments on whether single or double is preferable and why would be much appreciated. Comments on who makes good ones would also be appreciated.

Reply to
Artist

No double-hoop bar is SCCA approved for Solo I competition. Some single-hoop bars are. If you're heading for a track day, "meets specifications" may or may not be the same as "approved."

If you're taller than about 5'8", there's an inverse relationship between protection and head clearance that you'll have to resolve according to your own comfort level. A bar that sits far enough rearward to clear a taller person's head will have to be shorter to fit under the top. That said, no rollbar that fits under the Miata top is high enough to keep a tall driver's head from hitting the ground, though any of them should improve the odds of surviving a rollover.

You also need to evaluate the risk of rollover against the risk of the bar clobbering you in a rear-ender. Rollbars are designed to be used with helmets, and no amount or type of bar padding is a substitute for Snell-approved head protection.

The most popular approved Miata rollbars are variants of the Hard Dog Hard Core. See

Many bars limit seat travel--both slide and tilt--for driver and/or passenger. You really need to sit in cars with various bars installed. Most are intrusive to some degree, and you'll have to decide for yourself how much discomfort you can tolerate. Unless you're vertically challenged, of course.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

If looks is not a factor, then why are you getting the Boss Frog? Get a SCCA SOLO I approved roll bar like the Hard Dog Hard Core:

Marcio Watanabe

I just ordered a D2 from Bethany Garage the other day. They are in stock and mine is supposed to ship this Monday.

I don't race, so getting the double hoop was not an issue for me. I'm also not very tall, so the height of the the double hoop was not an issue. And, I just like the way they look (but would never settle for a style bar).

So, if you're looking for added safety for everyday driving, then any of the Boss Frogs, Hard Dogs or Brainstorms should cover you -- just get what appeals to you. If you're racing, you really need to pay attention to specs as mentioned by others.

Have fun...

Reply to
The Millers

I am 6'3", do you know if there are any roll bars suitable for my height? I won't be racing, just using on the road.

Dan TM.

Reply to
Daniel the Manual

Since you probably won't want to adjust the seat other than all the way back and reclined into the carpet, you may be happiest with one of the bars that mounts a few inches farther rearward, such as the Hard Dog Hard Top (single hoop) or Deuce (double hoop).

I'm tempted by the Deuce, but SWMBO doesn't like rollbars of any sort--they make her feel enclosed, and spoil the roadster feeling.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

OK, please flesh-out SWMBO.

James

Reply to
James

"James" wrote in news:dPSdnaUGnZASFK7fRVn- snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com:

She Who Must Be Obeyed.

Expression popularized by John Mortimer in his excellent series of books, stories and the PBS series "Rumpole of the Bailey" about Horace Rumpole. Rumpole was a barrister who always referred to his wife Hilda as "She Who Must Be Obeyed"

The expression was probably started by H. Rider Haggard in his novel "She". Ayesha was referred to by her subjects as She Who Must Be Obeyed.

If you're married the term is easily understood...

Reply to
XS11E

I've got a Deuce and couldn't be happier with it.

Wha? Does she demand that the doors be removed as well? ;)

You don't even know the Deuce is there 95% of the time. It's barely visible in the rear-view mirror, and it certainly isn't visible in my peripheral vision. The Duece is a lot less obtrusive than a high back bucket seat or a headrest.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Grant, my lad, one of these days you will be married. Then your eyes will be opened (if not blackened) and all will become clear. In marriage, as in war, the wise man chooses his battles with care.

:-)

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Well said, everyone likes to win a battle now and then ;-)

Funny.....

Chris

92BB&T
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

I was once.

Apparently not, or I would still be married. ;)

Reply to
Grant Edwards