Sell it or strip it? Non-running 1991 Silverstone Miata

I have been told that I must do something with this 1991 Silverstone. It has been sitting for over 3 years, blown radiator that probably damaged the engine because it was run dry, and it needs a few parts that have been "liberated" for my running '91 Miata.

It has an A/C system that is only about 7 years old that would swap directly into my existing car if the turbo allows it.

The top is very dirty with some mildew that needs to be dealt with, but is 4 1/2 years old and has been covered most of that time. It is a Robbins no-zip glass window with no fading to the underside.

This Miata has FM sways, the Skip Cannon rear brace, Momo steering wheel with adapter, voodoo knob and shift lever, decent stereo, Hella headlights and a few other goodies but is basically stock, never raced.

128,000 miles when it went down.

The car has had one minor hit in the front, which did not even stop the headlights and barn door mechanisms from operating properly, so the frame is probably straight. The interior is also in very nice shape, just needs to be cleaned up and have the instrument hood put back on.

I also have a near-perfect set of 15" alloys from a 2000 model ready to put on to replace those lovely donuts.

So, at the least, it needs the engine worked on/rebuilt, a new radiator, and front-end bodywork. The car also really needs new shocks and a torsen rear end is something that I pretty much consider mandatory on a Miata. I am sure that there is more. A major tune-up is a given. A clutch was also in the plans before it went down.

I can do most of the labor except paint and bodywork that is more than simply bolting on a new hood or headlight buckets.

So, fix it one step at a time as I can buy parts or tear it down and send what is probably a straight frame to a salvage yard?

I can't decide, here are a few pictures of what I am looking at. Not pretty, but it could be one day. Any "dump it!" or "Save it!" input is appreciated. :-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

"pws" wrote

I can see why. It looks ugly sitting there on the street. If you were my neighbor, I'd be calling the police every 3 days. It does look too nice to trash, but I don't see how you could get the money out of it that you would have to put into it to make it driveable. Part it out! You know how, don't you?

Reply to
Ken Lyons

Lemmee see what I do, there is a big market here in Austin for the top without needing to ship it. I have already taken Ken's advice, along with several other's, and will strip 'er down. Already started, in fact, it is now one tail light short.

Some of the parts I can use if I keep my current car, including that A/C if I can make it fit in there with the turbo components. Shouldn't be that terrible a job, the wiring is still there, just need the compressor and plumbing out of the other car.

Pat

Reply to
pws

It hasn't been there that long, and it is actually at my parent's house instead of 35 miles away where I live. The car has sat in 2 different locations before now but I had to get it off of a friend's property.

Now I need to figure out where to part it out. A lot of people don't want to make the nearly one-hour drive from the center of town or even worse from the south side to where I live, while it is much more centrally located where it is now. The last time it added up to a lot of bringing in large parts in another Miata, since I have no other vehicle. On the other hand, it can be taken apart in complete privacy out there.....Decisions.

out of it that you would

Using logic on me, you are correct. I have done a 1990 and a 1996, this will be my first 1991 model. It gets a little easier each time, maybe I can do it in my sleep with this one.

Really, I would be lucky to get $500.00 for it, and I am about to sell a single tail light for almost 10% of that. The valve cover is worth $50.00 by itself. Pretty easy decision on what to do I guess.

Now, do I also part out the red '91, the one that will bring real money and buy another low-mileage NA like my former '96M? It might even leave a little money left over for some gas.

I really loved my last Miata, but can't say that about this one.

Pat

Reply to
pws

That is close by. I may be swapping roll bars and putting an A/C into my current Miata. If I do that, I will want the top. Otherwise, I have no use for it.

Not sure what I would charge for it, it has lost some value because it is used, but it is also already professionally mounted on a frame with a great rain rail, which saves a lot on parts and labor costs.

I do need to clean it up some, and I have another OEM top with a great-condition plastic window mounted on a frame ready to be bolted on, but you are looking for a glass window, which I can understand.

If I swap roll bars, I will have a Hard Dog Hard Core dual diagonal brace, no-hardtop roll bar for sale, and will be looking for a Hard Dog Sport roll bar with a single brace to replace it.

Decisions coming soon, I saved your email address.

Pat

Reply to
pws