Smooth Gear Shifting ?

I'm a new '05 MazdaSpeed owner who last drove a 4-speed Corvette 40 years ago. Other than missing a gear now and then, I'm adapting to the

6-speed well enough. Although I still tend to shift 1-2-5-6 ocassionly. My question is, should I be feeling the gears meshing as much as I do? Seems to me the Corvette shifted a lot smoother and quieter. And I don't remember any noise, rough meshing feel etc. With the MX-5, I hear and feel the gears coming together. Does this smooth out as the car gets a few miles on it ( presently 2200 miles) or could something be amiss?

Thanks, Larry

Reply to
laocmo

That doesn't sound correct to me at all. The miata gear boxes are amongst the smoothest shifters on the planet. I don't remember hearing that the 6 speed acts like that but maybe I've missed it somehow. Most comments about less than buttery smooth shifting has been on older / higher mileage cars and usually solved by synthetic fluid (redline MTL is highly recommended). I guess I'd try that first.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Just wondering, did you buy it new, and with how many miles?

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

... Just wondering, did you buy it new, and with how many miles?..... Leon

Was new, 12 miles on it. I should have mentioned that it is worse when the car is cold and feels better after things warm up. I think I'm just spoiled by having driven nothing but velvet smooth automatics for the last 40 years. Think I'll test drive an '06 and compare.

Larry

Reply to
laocmo

That could be it. The Miata shifter feels quite direct and mechanical--it's designed to let you know what going on beneath your hand, not to insulate you from the experience. It also doesn't like to be rushed when it's cold, and the clutch needs to be pressed to the floor. You'll soon develop the proper rhythm for smooth shifts.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Which is why I'm desperately trying to modify my 2K6. I'm 5'3" (and going down!) I have no problem with the gas or brake pedals, they never NEED to go all the way down. But the clutch pedal does, and I need a few extra inches. If I move the seat forward enough to push the clutch to the floor, I CAN live with the gas + brake pedals, however 2 problems crop up.

1: My arms are bent at the elbows 80 or 90 degrees, I'd rather have a little straighter "arm" to the steering wheel. 2: For safety sake, I'm way to close to the AirBag. One good "thump" from that, and it's a compression injury in which the results could be fatal.So I guess I'm looking to "bring out" the clutch pedal a little. I was thinking of 2 inches of "cut tire" material, cable-tied in the treads, as a shim/spacer on the pedal surface. Anyone ever dealt with this? I'm not finding any reasonable after-market solutions.
Reply to
Remove This

Problem solved, at least for me! I've often felt that it shifted smoother after a few miles of warm up, but that it might have been my imagination. Also I have NOT been pushing the clutch pedal all the way to the floor. Solved that issue by moving the seat one notch forward. I'm 5'7" and the car now fits like a glove. Also it shifts much smoother, even when cold with that clutch fully depressed. Can't thank you guys enough for your good advice. You're right ,when driving that little roadster you become one with the car. I feel now like I'm an extension of that gear box, a great feeling.

Larry

Reply to
laocmo

Does anyone else drive the car often?

You have the right idea, I think, I would just go with a more elegant, (and expensive), solution and have some pedal brackets custom made from aluminum at a machine shop.

Basically, they would be super-thick versions of the "racing" pedal covers that you buy now. I would want them installed with screws or bolts. It would be more secure and would look much better, especially on an *almost* brand new miata.

Just my opinion, which is worth about what you paid for it. :-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

Replied inline....

Never. They wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft. pole. Unenlightened, I guess!!

Thanks, Pat, for the advice. I'm checking into stock aluminum work ATT

Reply to
Remove This

Larry, you're serious, it was the clutch full depression deal? Cool! Hopefully you can get some kind of extension or modification to the pedal, I wouldn't want to meet up any closer than intended to one of those air bags!

good luck, Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

I find the NA gearshift a bit notchy and baulky when really cold. I've got some Redline MTL90 to put in, which is supposed to help a lot, but as the clutch is probably on its last legs I may wait until the box needs to come off anyway.

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

Reply to
Chuck

I haven't crawled under the dash to see if it's possible, but moving the master cylinder pushrod pivot point closer to the pedal pivot would be a lot simpler. You'd also need to fabricate a pedal stop.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Mazda has had a problem that seems to reoccur-- that of "rough" shifting manual transmissions. It all seems to go back to the usual tolerance problems with mass manufacturing. Getting a dealer to fix such a problem can be a study in frustration, excerbated by the fact that a replacement transmission may be worse than the original. (Been there, got the frustration to prove it.) Not to mention personally tearing down two 5 speeds, one new out of the box.

Reply to
Chuck

It is possible to improve things by adjusting out the mechanical play between the clutch pedal and the master cylinder. Moving the pivot point would also help. I think that getting the pedal movement to match the brake pedal movement is going to likely require a larger master cylinder internal diameter. Overbore might be a solution of the casting is thick enough, and a suitable piston can be found. Over pressure can be reduced or eliminated with a pressure actuated damper. (Some of the fairly rare manual tranny MPV's used this method.)

Reply to
Chuck

Interesting...

Reply to
Remove This

Yes, the only one I have heard of that is generally regarded as better is the one on the Honda S2000.

I think that Lanny has it right and he is just not used to it yet. The miata has a wonderful shifter and his 2005 MS shouldn't be experiencing any problems yet, but it is always possible that there is a defect somewhere.

Pat

Reply to
pws

NOT

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Chris.. NOT possible; or NOT interesting ?

Reply to
Remove This

I have an 04 MSM. I've driven it enough that I know where I am gear-wise, but the shifting is not particularly intuitive or comfortable. For the record I have not owned an automatic in 20 years, so I know how to shift gears. I would have been happier with the 5-speed, which I hear are much smoother, but they are not available in the Mazdaspeed. But overall I think the MSM is the best Miata ever. Looks of the NB, power of the NC.

I'll probably try some Redline MTL at some point, but I honestly don't expect it to make much difference.

Reply to
Carbon