suggestions to revitalize this news group?

Wow, it's a shame to see so few posts on what's been the best newsgroup I've ever run across! Are 'we' just inundated with too many ways to communicate? Is everyone twittering (whatever the hell that is) and facebooking and myspacing and blogging (how did I almost forget blogging?) Who blogs for god's sake? Everyone?

I just don't get it. Any suggestions will be appreciated! Allot of people don't even know what newsgroups are, I guess. It seems to be like 'bulletin boards' back before the web exploded but, even then, there was a pretty committed core group.

Have we just run out of interesting things to discuss on the most reliable sports car of all time? TOO FEW PROBLEMS? Is that it?

I hope we can keep it alive.

H-E-L-P! Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

No twitfacing for me, by cracky. I'm just not sufficiently narcissistic, I guess. My innermost thoughts are none of anyone's business, as if anyone cared. Or maybe it's because I have real friends, and don't need imaginary ones.

Well...if you do have a problem, you're more likely to find the solution on the miata.net forum.

We just returned from an hour's drive in the country. We are blessed with hundreds of "SAFE SPEED 20" signs within a 30-mile radius, many with serious elevation changes. I sure am enjoying my new RE-11s.

It's hard to believe the local Miata club has no interest in these wonderful roads; all they want to do is eat and shop.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Same problem here. We tried to have a tech event some years back. One of the female members was incensed because we were not set up to fix tires with nails in them. Change oil--ok if you brought oil and filter. Same with tranny & rear end oil. Tune or trouble shoot ok. Fix if not too involved and have parts.

After that, the tech side deteriorated to advice if asked.

99 LS, turbo SBB, 8 injector version.
Reply to
Chuck

This is one of two online social "gatherings" of any sort that I use. (the other group discusses the rapidly coming end of over 70 years of prohibition in this country)

Like Lanny, I suspect that most of my personal life is largely uninteresting to the average person, though I am also sure that a personality profile could be built up from my 11+ years of posting here, if the wrong people did become interested.

No twitter for me. Same with myspace, classmates, facebook, and the dozen or so other online social groups that have been invented since yesterday. :-)

I don't think that we ever recovered from the loss of Leon. Anytime things were going too slowly, he would usually post something that would get people talking, even if it was just his white paint photon drag discussions. ;-)

That may be it. Everything has pretty much been covered, but that never stopped a bunch of old car nuts before.

I'm with ya, dude. I go to miata.net for some technical information, but never post there. Moderator is almost always a 4 letter word, imho, it gives most moderators that I have seen too much of a power trip, which I don't like or need when I already have the ability to filter out anything that I want here.

Also, though it can take a while, especially anymore, most miata information that people seek can be found here on r.a.m.m.m. No question, however, that the miata.net forum is generally faster and better-informed.

Pat

Reply to
pws

what's the horses/torqs rating? when does the boost kick in?

Reply to
Domagoj Bagaric

Chuck, I was wondering the same thing.

My turbo/engine system has four RC550CC injectors hooked up to a Vishnu fuel rail. Is your 8 injector system offering more fuel than the ones I have, a better fuel dispersal, or something else I am missing?

It sounds very cool! Am I correct in assuming that it requires a special fuel rail that is set up for 8 fuel injectors?

Also, do you have a link on this handy for a lazy man? ;-)

Look there Chris, it's Miata talk!

Thanks,

Pat

Reply to
pws

you have a turbo too?!

darn!

am I the only one with 90ishrwhp?

DAMN THE WALLET!

Reply to
Domagoj Bagaric

Hardly. At 146k miles, my stock 1.8 is probably in that range.

Here's a tip: install a muffler that's a bit too loud. You'll quickly learn to use as little throttle as possible, and you'll find you have plenty of power you're not using because it's too noisy.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Blogging: One of the most interesting people I've ever encountered blogs.

One who travels from San Francisco to New York on a 150cc Vespa is not your ordinary female and the fact that she's "Smoking HOT!"

Reply to
XS11E

I have a stock 1.6 1992, I suspect 90ishrwhp is probably 80 more than I have?

NOTE: the HP is sufficient.

Reply to
XS11E

"It is more fun to drive a slow car fast, than to drive a fast car slow".

Not that the stock Miata is slow, but it can actually be more fun for me to drive a fairly stock one than one with more than double the power. I miss my rev limiter......

Some extra power is not a bad thing, imo, but for me, and so many others, this car is almost all about handling.

I would probably have never added a turbo myself, but I will do every possible thing (within budget) to any miata I own to make maximum use of and improve the excellent handling/braking that this car already has.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Rated/calculated rear wheel HP 220. (Consistent with 1/4 mile times)

Never Dyno'd, due to lack of fast A/F ratio meter on local Dyno.

There is an extra fuel rail mounted on the intake manifold. (Bell Engineering modified a stock manifold). This allows use of stock injectors during normal driving to keep the ECU happy.

Serious boost starts between about 3000-3200 RPM Actually, a small amount of "boost" is available at idle. Testing showed that twice the normal airflow is available at idle.

For daily driving, HP is intentionally limited to about 160HP at rear wheels, due to stock internals. One of these days, I suppose I should spring for a decent fast wide band A/F system, with an output suitable to drive the ECU, and retune to full capability. Actually, I reduced the available HP as a protection, when I was having ignition problems, and never got around to retuning after the problems were eliminated.

The rear end is the stock ratio, and the 5th gear was changed to reduce RPM at highway speeds just enough to reduce the "drone".

This was a 2001-02 ish FM II SBB Piggy kit, and then modified with new intake piping, an O2 sensor output clamp, larger exhaust, etc. A "HD clutch & PP were also installed, along with the supporting electronics prior to the actual Turbo install. ( There was a delay in shipping the turbo at the time).

This is an old conversion, using steel piping. New kits have a much "cleaner" arrangement, and use rubber hoses instead of the steel pipe arrangement I have.

For several years, I considered changing to an LS V8. However the cost jumped up by over ten grand, and sort of made that idea a no go.

Not to mention that my doctors are now frowning on my racing activities.

Reply to
Chuck

that's double what I drive :) what are the 1/4 times?

give them a spin, they'll either stop or have you committed :)

Reply to
Domagoj Bagaric

I love the sound of a stock muffler, especially with top down. couple of friends have enthuza mufflers, that's not bad too.

Reply to
Domagoj Bagaric

I think you pretty much nailed it with your theories. I have been using usenet since there really was nothing else and it is slowly dying all over.

There have always been the problem that usenet was not really advertised by anyone so many newer ever discovered the system. The amount of new user today is properly next to zero as most ISP's have gone from being geek companies run by geeks for geeks to big business. I see ISP's pretty much cutting away anything which my confuse users even a little so the days of every ISP runnung a usenet server is over.

I think blogging can be a good thing and if I had more time I may have made one my self. There are good and bad ones.

I think we can try to post more often but it will not change the downward spiral only put it on hold. Still as long as there are MX-5's there will to stuff to discuss.

On the plus side I do not see it dying only less active. Once in a while I visit a group focused on a computer game which was hot* a decade ago to reconnect with the old guys. There are perhaps 30-40 posts in that group per year now but it still fun.

Fear we not. I think everyone there have your back :-)

Kind regards Bruno

*When the demo to the sequel to this game was released for download 30% of the internet bandwidth during the following 24 hours was from the game files being transfered!
Reply to
Bruno, Copenhagen - Denmark

Wow, not my kind of Miata club! I try and catch up with the Houston version occasionally. Especially on New Years Day when they do their annual hangover cart race! Good stuff!

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

I love it! Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Huh?! There's a new one on me! Domagoj, do what I did and put Borla duals and with the wonderful sound, it'll never occur to you that you don't have BIG power! Actually, I think a good normally aspirated Miata is perfectly suited for going about as fast and quick as you can safely go on public roads.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Amen brother! I did a run this morning with a buddy on a 1300cc Honda cruiser-type motorcycle, We had a total blast! I ran away from him in the corners and he got to enjoy my radar protection as he blasted up to catch me cruising at 80 or so on the straights. He hit the highest speed he has yet, having the bike less than a year (120mph) and he inspired me to go a bit faster than I had in a long while hitting 110 indicated (108 confirmed on the ScangaugeII). I really don't normally feel the need for more power.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo