Tires: Yoko A550 vs Kumho 716

Time has come for new tires on my '94 in 185/60-14 size (or maybe

195/60-14). I'm looking at Sears who carry both the Yokohama A550 (the 195 is cheaper by $7/tire than the 185!) and the Kumho 716 which is just over $200/set. Are the Yokos worth the extra $50 to $80 more than the Kumhos? I've heard good reports on both.

snipped-for-privacy@ccim.net 94 "C"

Reply to
glenf

I assume you have checked the product reviews on miata.net and tirerack.com.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Reply to
glenf

FWIW, I just picked up 4 Falken Azenis in 195/60-14 from Vulcan Tire at $202 shipped. So far, they're sticking like glue! A treadware rating of 200 leads me to believe I won't get much more than 20K or so on 'em, but they're cheap enough that I won't mind replacing them more frequently than a longer-lasting tire.

DonB

Reply to
DonB

Reply to
glenf

10k is actually very good. Most drivers report 5k to 8k out of a set of Azenis. Considering the more-frequent mounting and balancing, they're not all that cheap, are they?
Reply to
Lanny Chambers

That's why I consider the MX5 my "toy" car, the one in which I have fun. It gets put away in the snow, as does my motorcycle. Out comes the Geo Tracker and I go pretty much anywhere I want, and STILL put the top down! I can afford to be lavish with my "toys" and so went into the Azenis purchase with much insight (a lot of it provided by the Lannys and Leos of the group, thankfully). In my case, I couldn't justify spending twice the amount on a tire (Toyo T1S) that would last about as long and be just as good in the snow. As far as mileage goes, I'll give a report as I gain 'em, but don't consider myself an aggressive driver and don't, to this point, autocross. I have yet to break traction since I installed the Azenis, but again, I'm not that aggressive.

While I derive much direction from this group, my trust level in anyone falls far short of my own experience, and I'll eventually develop what's best in my personal situation.

BTW, I have the same theory on Miatas as I do motorcycles--neither is effective as primary transportation. I have a 12-string guitar that won't fit in the trunk of my Miata, and since I frequently combine driving to gigs in my Miata, that's a fairly serious problem. I get to take a pretty lady in the passenger seat, or my guitar. Now that's a poser (for a musician who knows the guitar frequently leads to the ladies).

DonB

Reply to
DonB

Reply to
glenf

Yeah, but you wanna hear the real catch 22? The Tracker don't impress 'em half as much as the MX5!

One other thing I would have liked in the Azenis--they only come in

195/60-14-- I would have preferred the 195/55-14 the Toyos provide, but since I'm already riding lower than stock, maybe it was a good thing. Living rurally on a farm is not the best setting for a lowered car. The average roadkill in these parts tends to coat the underside with a sickening mess. Squirrels ain't so bad, but I gotta judge the level of decomposition of groundhogs, possum, and the like.

One other point--since, like many, I'm new to Miatae, each experience tends to be rewarding (short of flipping the thing). For instance, since I'm not that aggressive, I've been finding myself totally wussed out in trying to break traction with them. I'm definitely able to corner significantly faster than on my old, worn Eagle GTs (which were on the car when purchased). The experience also led to a better understanding of the treadware rating system. The Azenis are rated at

200, while almost every other tire I've seen locally, even performance tires, are over 300. Passenger tires in these parts seem to be over 400. If anyone has a fuller, better explanation of the system, I'd like to hear it, especially with experience.

D>Don - Well at least the Tracker let's you take both!

Reply to
DonB

The treadwear rating system is not quite worthless, but almost. Each manufacturer makes up its own scale, so it's not possible to compare numbers across brands except in the most general way. It's a marketing tool, not an engineering analysis. The best rating system is the Reviews section of miata.net.

BTW, consider taking a track or autocross school to learn how to get the most from your RWD Miata. With sticky tires, it's shockingly easy to get in over your head faster than you realize. You need to learn about the laws of physics, which, sadly, still apply to Miatas.

I'll bet your pretty lady would be honored to cradle your 12-string tenderly in her lap... :-)

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Hum. Has been effective as my only transportation (besides public transportation) since 1997. Have not rented a truck since then.

116 kmi (112 with supercharger) on the Miata at this time.

The only concession: Sears did provide free delivery on my radial arm saw when I asked them to take it out of the box so that I could take it home in my Miata. (The manager owned a Miata too.) Which was just as well, since regardless of size, the head was too heavy for me to lift. Had to improvise a ramp to get it on its stand.)

Take out the spare tire. Put in a can of fix-a-flat, a cell phone, and a AAA card.

You would not feel remorse having a pretty lady being transported in a Geo Tracker? Have you no shame?

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Thanks, Lanny. Too bad it's a manufacturers thing--seems it could be handy if standardized. I agree, though--I was left more in confusion than anything else after reviewing them. And you pretty much described why I've been somewhat wussed by the new tires--I've been adjusting to higher cornering speeds without knowing the limits and worry about the kind of surprise that may present. The laws of physics can be brutal (many years on motorcycles convinced me of that long ago).

And yes! A tool!! I'll turn it into a tool!!! I mean, if she's agreeable to holding my 12-string in her lap........ :)

Reply to
DonB

Good point! Unfortunately, for the time being, I seem to have located myself in a rural setting on a farm (somebody get me outta here!) and have trips to the dump, crush&run to haul, etc., which is the reason for two 4-wheel vehicles. I'm heading back to the metros soon, where I might make do with the occasional truck rental when necessary.

All (thanks to this NG) done. I can get my 6-string in the trunk only if I put it in the soft case. The 12 is an impossibility.

Hey, I owned up to *having* a Geo Tracker. Shame??? Moi??? (That's OK....I'll get mine when I forget which vehicle I'm driving and get slammed by the laws of physics.)

DonB

Reply to
DonB

Reply to