National Tyres

After finding 1 of the tyres gone flat I took it down to nat tyres and the guy sucked his teeth and told me I need 4 new tyres and quoted me £258 all in for

4 TIGAR PRIMA I

Are these tyres any good or shit?

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur

If you need to ask, they're shit.

Reply to
SteveH

They are shit. Do you need four new tyres? I would check. I've found the service at my local National not too bad at all compared to other places and I have actually recommended them to others.

Reply to
gazzafield

I have Tigar tyres on my Triumph, bought because they were the cheapest and I was skint. I find they give excellent grip, but that's because they're a soft compound and wear out very quickly - as I'd expected.

258 quid sounds like he's taking the piss.
Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

The message from "Arthur" contains these words:

Why not post the size so we can see if the price is reasonable?

Reply to
Guy King

The quote is for 185/55 - 15s

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur

That's a bloody odd tyre size. What car is it for?

Reply to
SteveH

Its a Rover 416. The manual says it should have 175/65 R14

ar

Reply to
Arthur

The message from "Arthur" contains these words:

Try

There's plenty listed there, starting from £47 all in.

Reply to
Guy King

Here you go:

I've used them before - will fit them on your drive :-)

Reply to
SteveH

You really can't fit 15 inch tyres to 14 inch rims. They'd fall off.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm confused now - he said he needed 15s, not they're 14s.

What are they?

Not that it matters, I'm sure the OP could use the etyres site himself to find the right ones.

Reply to
SteveH

Cheers, Steve. I went for the goodyear GT2's. £87.50 all in and coming around to my address on Saturday am.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur

The current tyres are 185 / 55 R15 and I'm replacing them with what the manual says it should have... 175/65 R14.

I'm assuming etyres will supply them balanced on rims...I haven't thought aout whether they will supply steel or alloys.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur

Eh?

I'm sorry to ask, but do you know what you're doing?

You appear to have ordered tyres for a 14" wheel, but you currently have

15" wheels - this means they won't fit!

You also appear to be confused about alloy and steel wheels. Care to enlighten us with your thinking?

Reply to
SteveH

That's a pretty foolish assumption. You know when they say they sell tyres? That's what they do - tyres. The rim is yours.

You need to sort this fuckup out.

clive

Reply to
Clive George

Tigar are just a budget brand, similar budget tyres cost £20 +vat . Pirelli / Dunlop / Continental / Firestone / Yokohama / Toyo all cost less than £35 per tyre , I think National are adding quite a mark up!. Shop around you will find a better price .

Reply to
Fred

You know, every time I think the nanny state has gone too far, and people should be responsible for their own actions, someone comes along and makes me rethink.

A tyre retailer will generally sell you tyres. That's why they don't mention the type of rim, as they usually assume (somewhat safely for 99% of the time) you'll be wanting the new tyres on your old rims. Just like when you put petrol in BP don't do it by fitting a new tank full of the stuff. You currently have 15 inch rims, I imagine a previous owner put them on. You either need 15 inch tyres, or 14 inch rims to go with shiny new 14 inch tyres. The good news is s/h steel rims tend to go for around a tenner each or less at breakers yards, though yo'll then need new trims and possibly nuts.

Or you could try fitting 14 inch rubber to 15 inch rims, it might just be possible with a shitload of stretching, a bit of cutting, and some superglue.

Reply to
Stuffed

The message from "Stuffed" contains these words:

And d'yer know what's really sad - he'll blame eTyres.

Reply to
Guy King

Being totally clueless about all of this I called etyres again and explained that the tyres that came with the car are 185/ 55 R15. I talked with etyres about my order for

175 / 65R 14T and he explained that I can't use these tyres because they have a bigger overall diameter and that my speedo won't reflect the correct speed at which the car is moving. Which would be correct if the speedo was set to work for 185/ 55 R15. But the 416 manual says the car was fitted with 175/ 65 R14. I must assume that 185/ 55 R15 and 175/ 65 R14 would suit the same speedo.

SteveH says the 185/55 R15's are a weird size which must be correct as etyres have only 1 tyre to match. The VREDESTEIN - SNOWTRAC 2..

So. What tyre will give the same speed ratio as a 175/ 65 R14 but fit on a

15" rim?

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur