'Top Hats'value?

Anybody have a clue what a used set of 'top hats' (I believe that's the term) should sell for? I've got a set available and a person interested so, I'm just wondering. Is there an approximate value (relative to new) like 50% or 33% of what new would cost that is considered a guideline?

My guess is that used parts places usually sell for 50% of cost of new.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

How many miles do you have on them?

Did you do a suspension upgrade?

Is there an approximate value (relative to new) like 50%

Not really, and these are not high-demand items, so it is hard to say what they will sell for. I remember that a single top hat for a 1991 model was over $70.00 from the factory years ago, they could be as high as $500.00 for a set now for the NB, and the price you sell them for is really determined by how badly the buyer needs them along with your bottom price.

My set of 4 used ones from a 1990 model that I stripped got somewhere around $50.00 on Ebay, or less than 20% of the cost of a new set, but they were 8 years older than your's at the time.

Generally true, though I have seen 80% and even 90% plus depending on the part. Your cylinder head is worth more than one from a 2001+ model, torsen rear ends tend to hold a pretty high percentage of their original value, as do hard tops. The other side is things like a dash. Very expensive, but little demand. I could not give mine away.

Pat

Reply to
pws

That was more logistics than demand, I wanted it to replace my broken dash but the shipping would be costly and I wasn't really eager to remove mine and install yours.

To be honest, I probably couldn't remove mine and install yours, I'd probably have to pay someone to do it for me.

The JB Weld fix was much easier and still seems to be working very nicely!

Reply to
XS11E

I wasn't referring to you specifically, and I would have done the JB Weld method myself before swapping dashes.

Austin has a pretty big Miata base, with a lot of them doing their own refurbishing and repairs. A number of people expressed interest in picking it up locally and never showed up, even when I finally dropped it from $10.00 to free. I finally got tired of having it in my way and trashed it, did the same with my '96M dash as well.

The Miata of the month where the guy has transplanted most of a wrecked MSM into a '95 model shows that it can be done with the dash by a "normal" person, but I have a feeling that it was the most frustrating part of the job.

Still, he has a nicely updated NA, Nardi 3-spoke steering wheel and all. I want that car badly, even if it is red. :-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

Yes, that car was beautiful! And, yes, I did upgrade my suspension! Speaking of cannibalizing MSM's, I got the shock and springs (with boots and top hats and everything) from an 04 MSM that reportedly only got about 4k of use prior to removal! I've installed them and I'm in 7th heaven, I'm just hoping that my 'significant other' doesn't think they are too 'punishing'. So far, on a few short rides, all is well but I know the story of the princess and the pea and so does my wife ;-)

Actually, big bumps are much better handled now as the KYB's really were wore out. It's the small and medium stuff that I'm afraid might get on the 'princesses' nerves :-) on a long haul, we'll see. I'm dieing to go autocrossing as I can feel huge improvements in every way even while tooling around on the street and I've also totally tested it out in a parking lot :-) It's very nice.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Top hats that I have 4 sale are the OEM's and I've gotten this thing up near

90k now (ouch). The only thing that looks like it's an issue would be the rubber bushing and I think I'd spring for new ones if I were the guy. They surely don't cost more than a few bucks.

Did upgrade suspension, see post further down.

Maybe $50 ~ $100, eh?

Chris

99BBB

">

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Sounds about right to me. :-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

Sounds great, congratulations!

Pat

Reply to
pws

Actually the guy found them (OEM type) for $15 a piece (not including a few $1 and $2 misc parts per corner). They did have $65 and $75 ones but they were called performance shock mounts. I believe this is the link he showed me;

Anyway, I think I offered him mine for $25 or $30 at that point and didn't hear back from him ?

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

The $65.00 ones are performance mounts with stiffer rubber than OEM. The OEM mounts are exact replacements and are the more expensive ones.

I wonder what he needs, the parts for $15.00 do not have any rubber dampener at all from what I can see, maybe they are to top off a custom setup? I don't know, and I don't see anything in the description.

In any case, it makes sense that these parts would be so much less, and if it is what he needs, it definitely makes sense to spend less.

I was under the impression that he was either replacing a set with very high miles or was going back to a different suspension system from a coil-over or something.

It would be polite for him to drop you a line saying that he found what he needs. Takes about a minute or less. :-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

Polite? What's that? Just kidding, most folks on miata.net (and ebay for that matter) have been pretty friendly.

Chris

99BBB

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo