What gauges to add?

I've decide to fill in the empty single-din slot in my 2003 with three 52mm "gauges": a clock, voltmeter and maybe an oil-pressure gauge. What range is recommended for oil-pressure? The VDO series I'm looking at comes in 80, 100 and 150psi models.

I'm not looking forward to the plumbing required to add an after-market oil-pressure gauge -- I supposed I might as well relocate the oil-filter as part of the process.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

I think 100 psi is what you want. Maximum oil pressure on my '94 is 90 cold, 60 hot.

Get an electric gauge, not a mechanical one.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Not obvious to me. It seems that the gauge ends at 90; the pressure might be too high to be indicated on it.

Still, with 150, the normal idling pressure would be hard to judge.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Definitly, but even then I'll have to tee in the new sender somehow (I want to leave the OEM "gauge" as-is). One ariticle I read suggested getting an oil-filter relocation kit and installing the new sender in the filter's intake line.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Hey, don't forget about a boost gauge. They're a little expensive on a stock MX-5, though.

;-)

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers

The gauge isn't too bad, it's the boost that costs...

Myabe I should go with oil temp instead of oil pressure.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Exactly my point. ;-) Though I must say, the performance improvement is outstanding (actually, I don't even have a boost gauge on my mostly stock JRSC installation).

On a stock MX-5, is that really necessary? I mean, would it even vary significantly? I'm trying to think of a meter that would make sense; while I like the idea gauges, I'm having trouble thinking of something on the engine that isn't basically goint to be the same all the time until an engine failure takes place.

Maybe an EGT or A/F meter - but again, that's only if you've modified the engine...

Oil temp is probably more interesting than oil pressure, you're right.

Cheers, Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers

No, I don't think either is particularly necessary. The primary objectives are:

1) Filling the DIN sized hole in the dashboard with something reasonably attractive. 2) A clock.

The best looking option I've found seems to be a 3-gague insert panel from , and a VDO Vision series clock plus a couple matching guages as shown in the link above.

A volt-meter is marginally interesting, but they're cheap and utterly trivial to hook up. So that's all on order, but it leaves the third hole to fill.

Maybe I will put in a boost gauge. That and some "Type-R" stickers ought to add at least 10HP.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Somehow, oil filter relocation kits do not seem to work out well. :(

Oil pressure seems to do a fair job of giving oil temperature. :)

Get an altimeter.

Leon, and Bozo, who has a starting console and line-inputs there.

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Heh. A VTEC Type-R Miata. The best part is, there would be people that think you're serious.

Don't forget the coffee-can muffler tip ;-)

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers

That would be fun, but I haven't seen one that would match (now that I think about it, I haven't seen one at all).

I put the MP3 jukebox in the trunk, so haven't found a need for a line input -- I'll probably run line a line intput cable to either the glovebox or the console when I fill the hole above the head-unit.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Hi there,

can anyone offer any help about a trouble with my 323f GT? It's built 1992. The rear window defroster doesn't work anymore. I've checked the relay and changed it ... but still it doesn't work. After the transportation of a cupboard the heating wire was interrupted by a cut. I fixed that by connecting the wire again using a conducting silver lacquer. But still the heating does not work. Anyone an idea? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Stefan.

Reply to
Stefan Nolte