White Paint on NA's

Anthony's recent post about purchasing a NA White Miata got me thinking about a couple of questions I've never gotten a good answer to.

1) Anybody else notice allot of white cars / trucks from the early 90's had paint peeling problems ?

2) Was this cooincidence or was there an EPA mandated change in primers / paints that took some time to correct?

3) Was there another reason?

4) Is there anything the owner of one of these cars can do to effect his chances of the common peeling problem or is it just a crap-shoot which ones tend to do it?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks, Chris

92BB&T
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

had paint peeling problems ?

No. But white miatas from that era did tend to shed paint. If you buy one now, it's likely in one of three conditions... (a) one of the good ones, (b) call me "patches" or (c) been repainted.

The good ones are likely to remain so. Fourteen years is a good test.

Reply to
seasalt726

Very good point. My new white one looks beautiful; I didn't see a chip anywhere. But I haven't looked REALLY closely yet. There is a scratch on the right side of the rear bumper where some dipwad esuvee owner bump it, say the previous owners. I think I'm going to order some touch up paint and fix it (where can I get crystal white touch up paint?)

So the peeling paint really is just a batch problem and is not something that happens to every Crystal White NA? It certainly makes sense that if it were going to happen, it would have by now.

~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

From what I understand, it was a process problem with every Crystal White NA for 1990 and 1991. I believe if you go search miata.net you will find some background info. IIRC, there were even some dealers that were repainting them for free under warranty.

FWIW, my first was a Crystal White '91 bought in '95, and I had absolutely no problems with the paint at all. As a matter of fact, I thought the paint looked quite good and held up well, considering I didn't have a garage or anything. It certainly had better paint than my '95 Toyota truck.

YMMV, of course.

Regards, H.

Reply to
HardwareLust

They might have gotten aware of the problem halfway the 91 model year and fixed it immediately. To have cars repainted costs them a lot of money.

I saw one driving in Tallahassee with fully half the paint gone.

Just my guess, Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

repainting

Well, that would make sense since my '91 is after the VIN break and has the big crank nose (woot)

~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony