paint clear coat

We have a 94 Silverado 1500 extended cab with a 350 that we bought a year old and have owned ever since. Recently within the past 2 years the clearcoat seem to be peeling and flaking off. The hood, roof and bed rails all have this. I have always taken regular care of the paint with washing, polishing and waxing with professional products. Infact where its not flaking on the same surface, the paint looks outstanding and doesnt show signs of fading.

I have looked around and have not seen any recals for the paint on our paticular truck on the internet. I have heard of so called "secret recals", but dont know if thats true. I want to know if there is anyone who is going through this or has been through this and what my options are. I have not been to the dealership yet. Is it possible that they have a recal that I cant find on the net.

Leaky Diaper

Reply to
Leaky Diaper

Most of the clearcoat colors do this after a few years. Prevention means keeping it in a garage most of the time.

Reply to
Scott
11 years old. :)
Reply to
Kevin Weaver

You say the clear coat is flaking off, what color is showing when this happens? My 91 did the same thing, except its not clear coated, its the paint flaking, and where it was intact it looked great. the early 90's is when GM in compliance with EPA regs switched paints. The problem as explained to me by several body men I know, both independent and dealer is the new paint didn't adhere properly to the primer used. If it is clear coat the color showing will be the color of the vehicle. And it seems certain colors are more a problem then others. Mine was the dark blue and I've yet to see a 91 S-10 that color not peeling. Go figure, my 87 is the same color and the paint on it is fine. Nether are ever garaged, Florida sun is hell on a paint job. All the manufacturers have had problems. Chrysler seemed to have major problems with white, silver and black. Ford had problems with silver, gray, and light blue. Honda had problems in the late 80's with gray and light blue. Nissans usually rotted out before paint peeling became an issue about the same time, late 80's The view on proper fix bounces between two, One point of view is sand, seal and repaint, the other is strip the old finish and paint. I went the second method. The body man used what looked like razor blades and just peeled the old finish off. Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

The paint is color is red. What flakes off is clear and white. Where it has flaked off its still red underneath. I can buff out where its flaked off and it shines up. But in doing so it just flaked it back more and more. What bothers me the most is that it seemed to all happen at once like it was timed. We also have a 74 monte carlo, 64 chev pickup and a 87 integra. They all look fantastic with the original paint. Has paint technology gotten worse since than?

Reply to
Leaky Diaper

Emission levels have tightened for VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) and the paint makers have had to reformulate their paints. Some formulas work better then others it seems.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher