WTF is this?

Come, now. What about the Iraq war? Or the entire health food industry? Scare some people enough and you'll create a market for your "solution."

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Grant Edwards wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Nope, like adjustable pressure regulators, a fix for a known problem. I wish they'd made an adjustable regulator for the early BMW "K" bikes, that would have eliminated the need to squeeze the stock regulator in a vise to increase the spring pressure, needed for modified engines.

It's a clue. Continued sales would indicate the product fills a need.

Reply to
XS11E

Oh darn !!! Now you guys are going to tell me that the "EASY BUTTON" does not work ! The next thing it's going to be the, "Magic Door" ! Where will it end ??????

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

A much better clue is the lack of one single comment by European miata owners about having a problem with low fuel pressure that needs a special valve. That is not a single comment in over 7 years on this newsgroup, that is more than a clue, I think.

The only surprising thing is that there has not been at least one person claiming that this power boost valve is great to justify the money that they just wasted.

Maybe that is more of an American thing, the placebo effect and the NEED to perceive the thing as helping because it made your wallet lighter.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Not to mention religion...

Reply to
Mal Osborne

But, those products exist. You stated that the existence of the product proved the existence of a problem the product is fixing. Therefore, there must be a problem of too little turbulence in intake manifolds and misaligned gasoline molecules in fuel lines.

[Presumably the 7" exhaust tips solve the problem of a car not looking and sounding stupid. :) ]

Fair enough. I wouldn't be surprised if somebody needed a different fuel pressure for a modified engine.

But, the claim under consideration is that _stock_ engines don't have sufficient fuel pressure -- that the Mazda engineers screwed up something as simple as fuel pressure to the extent that it causes a noticable reduction in drivability -- and that it something wouldn't have cost any more to do right.

If it were cheaper to produce cars with insufficient fuel pressure, I could see some Ford accounting type cracking the whip over the heads of the engineering staff. But I don't see how that could be the case.

I'm not giving points just for sales. Huge numbers of people buy massive amounts of all sorts of useless (and even harmful) stuff -- especially to put in/on their cars and down their throats.

I will give a few points for it being sold by Moss -- they're a pretty reputable operation. But, the second I see an infomercial for it on late night TV it goes straight onto the "useless piece of crap" list. ;)

Reply to
Grant Edwards

It's got a dial and a knob, so somebody will buy it just for the fun of watching the dial change when the knob is turned.

Hell, I've got an intake manifold boost pressure gauge in my dash and

A) I don't have a turbo. B) It isn't even hooked up to the intake manifold.

But, I got tired of looking at the hole in the dash above the stereo that was sized just right for 3 gauges, it matches the only decent looking analog clock module that I could find to put in that hole, and I was too lazy/chicken to try to install an oil pressure gauge.

The third hole has a voltmeter. Which isn't all that useful, but it was cheap and didn't require fishing anything through the firewall.

Someday I really am going to shove that plastic tube through the firewall and hook it to the intake manifold. Then I can watch the needle move when the gas pedal moves!

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Well, I was trying not to...

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man, living in the sky who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of 10 things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these 10 things, he has a special place full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever till the end of time... But he *loves you*.

-George Carlin

Reply to
pws

With considerable and uncharacteristic restraint, I didn't.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

As soon as the topic started veering off course into marketing, it is only natural that the longest-lasting and by far the most lucrative marketing campaign in human history would be mentioned, from the earliest primitive shamans to the current crop of shamans such as Ratzi the Nazi, or Pope Benedict XVI as he is now called. ;-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

Mal Osborne wrote on 10/25/06 16:53:

My favorite one is the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster:

Pastafarians greetings

-Joe

Reply to
Joe Feise

Disagree. They are dirt bags and unsolicited bulk e-mailers.

I have no doubt that the only reason the device is not being sold to US suckers is that Moss is afraid of federal action by either the FCC like Slick 40 or by the EPA making its reputation even more miserable than it is already.

But I forget, since Slick 40 is being sold proves it is needed, I hear. And that they sell so much of it and people provide positive testimonials shows it works.

There is one born every minute.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

We've almost made it to the comparison of somebody with Hitler!

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Grant Edwards wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Wrong, the claim under consideration is that in order to meet emissions standards Mazda made a compromise that hurts performance and that's not the first time a manufacturer has done that.

Reply to
XS11E

Wrong, the claim under consideration is that in order to meet EEC emissions standards Mazda put in a wrong-sized fuel pump instead of adjusting the injector open time. Moreover, the claim implies that Mazda was unable to *shorten* the injector open time under conditions under which they are open *longest*.

The EEC is *not* a county in the third world with 5 million people. It is a major market. If someone in authority tells me that Mazda did indeed do this idiotic thing, then OK. But someone regurgitating advertising literature from a dubious source trying to *sell you a fix* to this previously unknown problem can forget about it.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

rammm@REMOVE_THIS_TAGdommelen.net (Leon van Dommelen) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Wrong again, absolutely nothing to do with size of pump or injector open time. See above.

Reply to
XS11E

As I understand the thing it is really another version of an "AFR/AFPR". The NA Miatas have a return fuel system, so the "AFR/AFPR" can be used. NBs

99-05 have an internal fixed fuel pressure regulator and no return, since the regulator is in the tank. 06?? An "AFR" or "AFPR" as it's sometimes referred to, as used on a Miata, is usually installed in order to support the installation/operation of a supercharger or turbocharger. For instance, a showroom stock NB is approximately 110 HP at the rear wheels. A turbocharged NB with a stock engine might reasonably produce 220HP or so at the rear wheels. Obviously, the turbocharger must be providing more air, and something must provide matching fuel. On an NA the AFR or AFPR does the job. On an NB, without making a serious fuel system modifiacation, the only way to add fuel in the amount needed is to add extra injector(s) (my 99 has 8 total, four port, & four intake manifold) or use different injectors. Larger injectors cause problems when the stock OBD2 computer is used, and obtaining correct idle may be impossible.

Interestingly enough, most of the AFR/AFPRs used on Miatas are based on a design by a Mr. Corky Bell. It may be that the one offered by Moss is such a copy, and selling it in the US is a problem.

I don't see that it should have much use on a stock NA.

===========================================================================> The electric fuel pump supplies fuel at a high pressure to the fuel rail and

Reply to
Chuck

That, of course, should have been fuel pressure regulator. The hand still typing while the mind has already long disengaged from this mindless exercise.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

the pressure regulator is in the tank.