Alright, WTF is this?

It claims the advance the ignition timing by giving a false engine temp. I don't know if modern ecus advance the timing when cold. Older syetems like the L-Jetronic (most 205gtis) would probably just run richer thinking the engine hadn't reached operating temp yet, they do not control the ignition timing. In any case it's just a cheap resistor.

Reply to
Ollie Walsh

OR

OR

Yes I know they've been mentioned before, but check the last link, look at the sellers feedback!!

Can anyone give me a reason why this wouldn't work? Or why I shouldn't buy one?

Cheers guys ;o)

Reply to
Chris

It looks like a ceramic body wirewound resistor.... cost around 50p from RS Componenets

Don't see any feedback to say it works....just quick delivery and as described, super ebayer etc.

extra power with no extra fuel consumption.....does it sound likely?

Or why I shouldn't

Nope, you've got me there :-)

Reply to
ph12

This resistor just fools that there is "extra" air and gives more gasoline to injection. Real Chipping changes also ignition timing with different revs and usually with normal driving fuel economy is better what you dont never get with this. But its up to you if you wanna try this expensive resistor....

-307 1,6 Wagon-

Reply to
Hannu Montonen

"Chris" wrote in message news:Xns93F49750CDB4Echrisflowersmkhotmai@195.129.110.130...

As stated by other people, it's just a resistor - which, as described, will make your ECU think that the air intake or engine temperature sensor is colder than it actually is. How exactly your ECU will respond is up to the way it's been designed. I don't believe the part which says that it makes the system 'send the sparks quicker'. If you have an older injection system with 'normal', distributor-driven, ignition, then there's no way on earth that the ECU can make the sparks 'quicker' - which I suppose is meant to mean that it'll advance the timing. IMO, the most likely thing that'll happen is that the fuel map will change - probably to it's 'cold' setting - like when you first start your car and it idles high for a while until it's up to temperature. The ECU would probably want to increase the richness of the air/fuel mix - probably by pumping more fuel into the cylinders. The outcome I see is that your car will run rich - in the long term, worst-case scenario, the plugs will foul up and you may have a problem with pinking which can cause engine damage. The other outcome is that the resistor might actually fool the ECU into thinking that the engine is very hot or at the correct temperature - leading to poor cold running and no difference when the engine is warm.. unless the driver suddenly feels more compelled to stick their foot flat to the floor to test out their new-found performance and surprised at how quick the car accelerates in first gear at high revs. They might have been equally surprised if they'd tried the same thing before fitting the resistor.

I wouldn't recommend it, as you're basically trying to get the ECU to do something that it is not designed for, you'd be taking out one of the variables that the ECU uses to decide what is best for the engine and since different ECUs can work in different ways, you'd really have no idea how your system would react unless you knew exactly how the ECU works and what value the resistor was.

Definately don't bother paying £8 for this resistor. If you really want to do something like this, then find out what resistance range your temperature sensor reads at and then buy a variable resistor which runs between those ranges from Maplin or RS Components for something like £1. Then you could mount it on your dashboard, run the wiring to the temperature sensor and hey-presto, you'd have fitted something akin to a manual choke.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris Barnard

It's a device aimed at the one that's born every minute, a bit like the magnet next to the fuel line that lines up all the fuel molecules ;-) If there were a simple way to make ANY car more economical or give 15BHP gain for a 10p W/W resistor (Or a 2p magnet for that matter), the manufacturers would be doing it already. imo. Strange thing is, with human nature being what it is, people that buy these things want to believe they are working.

jim.

Reply to
djimbo

the important part is in the last line of the last link. "For best results use premium fuel" Premium fuel would be optimax which gives better performance anyway. It's a con.

Simon

Reply to
SimonDS

higher octane rating 98 not 95.

Reply to
SimonDS

You are obviously under the misguided impression that the octane rating has something to do with performance.

It's actually a measure of the fuels resistance to detonation when compressed. A fuel with a higher octane rating can be compressed more than lower octane fuel before it spontaneously combusts. So it is more resistant to "pinking" or pre-ignition.

Often high performance engines require fuel with a greater resistance to pre-ignition due to high compression ratios etc so these will require a 97 or 98 octane fuel, but only to prevent "pinking", nothing to do with higher performance.

If your car doesn't "pink" using 95 octane fuel then changing to Optimax will have no effect on anything apart from your wallet.

Reply to
miknik

This is true, but a 1.9 litre 205 has a high-compression engine - it should run better on higher octane petrol if your ignition timing is set correctly.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris Barnard

If by run "better" you mean won't pink then yes, but that's it. There is nothing in 98 octane petrol to make your car go faster/acelerate more quickly etc than when using 95 octane.

If your engine is designed for 95 octane fuel, then running it on 98 octane will be of no benefit.

It's true they recommend 97 octane for the 1.9 gti (but not the 1.6, which actually has a higher compression ratio), but mine doesn't pink on 95 so I'm certainly not gonna shell out an extra 7p/litre on something I don't need.... Especially when 6p of that probably pays for all the flash optimax adverts which try and convince people its a high performance fuel, rather than one with a higher octane rating.

Reply to
miknik

so shell are guilty of false advertising when the say Optimax with improve performance then?

Reply to
SimonDS

Below is from the website:

Shell Optimax - a totally new petrol for the ultimate drive

Shell Optimax is a unique unleaded fuel developed specifically for UK drivers. In fact it is the most significant fuel we've launched for more than a decade and we're confident that it will give you optimum performance and maximum engine protection. Here's why we're sure you'll notice the Optimax Edge:

a.. Its unique formulation will help your car or motorbike respond quickly and safely, just when you need it to, in all driving conditions b.. It will protect your engine like no other petrol c.. Tests show it's the UK's best performance petrol d.. It was created by the Shell scientists who develop fuels for the Ferrari F1 car So it is a premium fuel like recommended by the seller of the ECU add on gizmo this thread was about as opposed to a standard unleaded from the local supermarket.

begin 666 cvp_1by1.gif K1TE&.#EA`0`!`(#_`,# P ```"'Y! $`````+ `````!``$```("1 $`.P`` ` end

Reply to
SimonDS

SimonDS

Remember, oil companies are held in high regard for being very fair and honest. They would never lie to you, the consumer.

How vague, how is it going to do that I wonder? 98 octane fuel will burn like any other 98 octane fuel, if it had different burning properties it would have a different octane rating.

Protect it from what? Petrol doesn't damage your engine...

Hmmm, yeah right. Shell's tests I bet.

Wow, I'm impressed. If they develop fuel for Ferrari then my car is bound to go like one when I fill up with optimax.

I've never seen standard unleaded anywhere, just "premium" 95 octane

Just google octane rating and read a few of the pages, then if you decide to buy the shell advertising bullshit about better performance and fill up with optimax when your car runs fine on premium then you deserve to be parted with your money :-)

Reply to
miknik

Some engines employ knock-sensors to detect the onset of pinking and retard the ignition to prevent it, which reduces the performance. Such an engine may run more advanced ignition on a higher-octane fuel and produce more power. If your engine _doesn't_ use a knock-sensor then there is, as you say, no merit in using a higher octane rating than the minimum which avoids pinking.

All the best, Andy

Reply to
Andrew Kirby

Older 205 GTi's don't have a knock sensor. I have no idea if newer ones do - but basically any car with static ignition probably has a knock sensor to sort out the timing for you. If you disconnect the battery for long enough, it might lose it's memory and re-learn the correct timing next time you drive it. However, if you don't have a knock sensor - you probably have some way of manually adjusting the timing. Most likely, you'll have a distributor which can be adjusted to alter the timing. If your car is supposed to run on high octane petrol and you were interested in getting a bit more power out of the car, you could try putting in super unleaded and advancing the ignition until just before it starts to pink. You might notice a slight increase in performance. If your high-compression engine doesn't pink with 'normal' unleaded, then I'd think your ignition has been retarded.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris Barnard

Hello,

Perhaps not : remember that octane ratings measurements are made on a monocylinder engine, the problem with our multicylinder engines (sorry, not mine, I have a Diesel) is the octane to be equally distributed between cylinders, even if injection rails possibly does it easier than with classic carbs.

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T