98 Protege - loud sound

My daughter is in a city far away, so I am relating this without actually seeing the problem first hand. Her 98 (1.5L) was running swell until the other morning when she started it. She hears a loud "clicking sound" coming from the engine. Accounts vary, but I get the impression that it is engine related as a.) I had her check the fans for obstructions and there were none and b.) it seems to be coming from the top of the engine.

Sounds like some sort of valvetrain problem, but I am not aware of anything common in this engine. Also, the 1.5L has a timing chain (a small one) that connects the two cams at the front of the engine. The timing belt only turns one cam pulley. I suppose the chain or tensioner is another possibility.

Any comments are appreciated. I am planning to hear this for myself on Saturday, but would like to go in with some ideas of what needs to be done.

Thanks,

Ken

Reply to
KWS

CHECK THE OIL!!!

Sounds like the motor is running dry...

Could also be a rod bearing.

Reply to
Noozer

Checked the oil the day before she drove it from here to the city far away (actually, two hours away) and it was fine. I suspect it still is; the car does not appear to leak anything. You can be certain I will check it again!

Also, this noise came on suddenly. She parked the car and it was fine, came back the next day and when it started, the noise was there. First it wasn't; then it was. It did not come on progressively. I think rod bearings tend to get progressively bad.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Reply to
KWS

More input. Comments are appreciated:

The oil level was fine.

When I first started the engine, it sounded completely normal. After about two minutes, it started making a high frequency screeching noise accompanied by a "thump, thump" that kept getting louder.

In an attempt to determine if it was a cam problem or a rod/piston type noise, I increased the engine rpm a bit. Shortly after, the noise went away but returned a few minutes after I went back to idle . Successive revving of the engine produced similar results. After the engine warmed up, it did not seem to make the noise at all.

Doesn't this sound like some sort of oiling problem? The low oil pressure light did not come on at all. The bulb is good, as the pre-start bulb check demonstrated.

Wrong oil? (it was changed by the previous owner a couple of months ago... I have had the car for about a month. It did not exhibit this problem until we drove the car about 100 miles from my garage. Perhaps some arterial sclerosis of the oil galleys?

Ken

possibility.

Reply to
KWS

Squealing noise will be an accesory belt.

It sounds like you have a failing power steering pump, alternator, or A/C compressor. It puts more strain on the belt and the belt slips - making that screeching noise. Once it's warmed up the belt stops making a noise.

Check the power steering fluid level. Make sure the belts are tight. Try with and without the A/C on to see if there is a difference. You could take the belts off and try to turn the alternator, steering, etc. by hand when cold and see if there is any binding.

Reply to
Noozer

Thanks for the advice, Noozer.

Ken

Reply to
KWS

Well, here's the verdict:

I had the car taken to a local, independent Mazda shop with a good reputation. It didn't take a pro too long to sort this out.

It's the air conditioner compressor.

He took off the belt and turned the pulley by hand. It was obviously bad. To be certain this was it, he fired up the engine with the air conditioner/power steering belt removed. No noise....where there was before.

Good news: not an engine problem. Bad news: a/c work isn't cheap.

But it brings this chapter to a conclusion.

Ken

Reply to
KWS