head bolts

I'm replacing the headgasket on my 1988 XJ6 3.6 engine. I got new headbolts, and am wondering if I should put anything on the threads? Going into aluminum, I'm thinking about Neverseize. ?? Coming apart, I never rotated the engine, and marked the cams, sprockets and chain. Should I be concerned about valve timing being off?

Terry

Reply to
Terry Kangas

Sure caot the threads if you like, but I woud do it to the holes and not on the bolts themselves. There is a risk that the neverseize will contaiminate the gasket area around the bolt holes if you treat the bolts instead of the hole.

I would clean out the bolt holes, surface-oil the bolt hole threads, and wipe down the head and block surfaces with paint thinner. Use no sealants on the head gasket; goes on dry. I take two of my old bolts and cut the heads off of them to use these for re-assembly guides (screw them in the holes, slide head down on them.)

As far as timing goes...all should be well. Once you re-install the tensioner cam pulleys, and chain guides, rotate the crank slightly backwards and then return to tdc. Do the cam notches look aligned? Yep? All correct then.

Cheers, Blake

Reply to
Blake Dodson