Mazda 929 Broken Timing Belt

Anyone experience a broken timing belt on a 1988 929 engine? Son's car just had this happen and we are wondering what the chances are that things (pistons valves) 'survived? I am assuming that this is a destructive engine. Car was only going about 15 MPH when this happened.

We would like to undertake repairing this ourselves.Anyone gone though this? Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Reply to
Bob

It depends... Cars with dished top pistons (or even flat top pistons with divots where the valves would normally impact) can survive a broken timing belt just fine... I had this with my old FORD ESCORT WAGON (1991). My timing belt broke in the middle of nowhere at 100 KM/HR. I didn't even no what it was originally, and tried to start the engine, etc. at first.

Anyway, got a new timing belt installed at the next town, and continued on my trip without incident. Not all cars are this lucky however. Still, it may be that the top of the pistons on your engine have the "divots" that protect them from a valve that is down at the wrong time -- almost entirely due to a timing belt failure.

Just check with an experienced MAZDA mechanic to see if the engine design is such that it is protected from a valve that is hanging down after a belt breakage. You might also be able to track down the info. on the web. Look even at an auto-parts web store for the pistons that go with your car's engine. The appearance of the tops of the pistons might tell you a lot right there.

Hope that helps!

Reply to
Anonymous

Go to this site to see if the engine is interference. Bottom right of the page.

540387&CFTOKENB972810Pete

Reply to
cselby

Not good... says Interference Engine... Yuck! I'd plan for engine damage.

I got concerned so checked my own '99 Mazda 626 LX-V6 and it doesn't say intereference for that year and model.

Also, I checked my old '91 Ford Escort Wagon with the 1.9L 4CYL and sure enough, it also was okay.

Reply to
Anonymous

Thanks for the advice. So yes this is an 'interference' engine. Yuck. Amazing how such expensive cars now have these rubber timing belts ..... shame how so many cars end up in the salvage yard because of them. Guess my next step will be to pull the heads.

Reply to
Bob

Or install the belt and with all the guards off, check if you get compression in all the holes. You have to open up the timing belt area anyway and you could get lucky. The few extra minutes to do the belt first may be a cost saver.

Pete

Reply to
cselby

Guess we were very very lucky. With new belt installed, compression readings range from 125 to 150 PSI so I am assuming that is normal for an engine with 130K miles. But belt does appear a little loose/slack however, so will be looking for a new tensioner before closing it up. Thanks for the advice guys. Bob

Reply to
Bob

at every hour it falls asleep, or wanders, through want of having all its principles present. Feeling does not act thus; it acts in a moment, and is always ready to act. We must then put our faith in feeling; otherwise it will be always vacillating.

253. Two extremes: to exclude reason, to admit reason only.

254. It is not a rare thing to have to reprove the world for too much docility. It is a natural vice like credulity, and as pernicious. Superstition.

255. Piety is different from superstition.

To carry piety as far as superstition is to destroy it.

The heretics reproach us for this superstitious submission. This is to do what they reproach us for...

Infidelity, not to believe in the Eucharist, because it is not seen.

Superstition to believe propositions. Faith, etc.

256. I say there are few true Christians, even as regards faith. There are many who believe but from superstition. There are many who do not believe solely from wickedness. Few are between the two.

In this I do not include those who are of truly pious character, nor all those who believe from a feeling in their heart.

257. There are only three kinds of persons; those who serve God, having found Him; others who are occupied in seeking Him, not having found Him; while the remainder live without seeking Him and without having found Him. The first are reasonable and happy, the last are foolish and unhappy; those between are unhappy and reasonable.

258. Unusquisque sibi Deum fingit.[37]

Disgust

259. Ordinary people have the power of not thinking of that about which they do not wish to think. "Do not meditate on the passages about the Messiah, said the Jew to his son. Thus our people often act. Thus are false religions preserved, and even the true one, in regard to many persons.

But there are some who have not the power of thus preventing thought, and who think so much the more a

Reply to
Bob
[42]Tacitus, Annals, iii. 25. "Once we suffered from our vices; today we suffer from our laws."

43Saint Augustine, City of God, iv. 27. "As he has ignored the truth which frees, it is right he is mistaken."

[44]Cicero, De officiis, iii, 17. "Concerning true law."

45Eccles. 3:19. "for all is vanity."

46Rom. 8:20-21. "It shall be delivered." [47]Horace, Odes, III. xxix. 13. "Changes nearly always please the great."

48Seneca, Epistles, xx. 8. "In order that you are satisfied with yourself and the good that is born from you."

[49]Montaigne, Essays, ii. 12.

50Cicero, De Divinatione, ii. 58. "There is nothing so absurd that it has not been said by some philosopher."

51Cicero, Disputationes Tusculanae, ii. 2. "Devoted to certain fixed opinions, they are forced to defend what they hardly approve."

52Seneca, Epistles, cvi. "We suffer from an excess of literature as from an excess of anything."

53Cicero, De officiis, i. 31. "What suits each one best is what is to him the most natural."

54Virgil, The Georgics, ii. "Nature gave them first these limits."

55Seneca, Epistles, cvi. "Wisdom does not demand much teaching."

56Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malo

Reply to
Anonymous

I create new heavens and a new earth; and the former things shall not be remembered, nor come into mind.

"But be ye glad and rejoice for ever in that which I create; for, behold, I create Jerusalem a rejoicing, and her people a joy.

"And I will rejoice in Jerusalem and joy in my people; and the voice of weeping shall no more be heard in her, nor the voice of crying.

"Before they call, I will answer; and while they are yet speaking, I will hear. The wolf and the lamb shall feed together, and the lion shall eat straw like the bullock; and dust shall be the serpent's meat. They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain."

Is. 56:3: "Thus saith the Lord, Keep ye judgment, and do justice: for my salvation is near to come, and my righteousness to be revealed.

"Blessed is the man that doeth this, that keepeth the Sabbath, and keepeth his hand from doing any evil.

"Neither let the strangers that have joined themselves to me, say, God will separate me from His people. For thus saith the Lord: Whoever will keep my Sabbath, and choose the things that please me, and take hold of my covenant; even unto them will I give in mine house a place and a name better than that of sons and of daughters: I will give them an everlasting name, that shall not be cut off."

Is. 59:9: "Therefore for our iniquities is justice far from us: we wait for light, but behold obscurity; for brightness, but we walk in darkness. We grope for the wall like the blind; we stumble at noonday as in the night: we are in desolate places as dead men.

"We roar all like bears, and mourn sore like doves; we look for judgment, but there is none; for salvation, but it is far from us."

Is. 66:18: "But I know their works and their thoughts; it shall come that I will gather all nations and tongues, and they shall see my glory.

"And I will set a sign among them, and I will send th

Reply to
Bob

he finds himself lodged, I mean the universe, let him estimate at their true value the earth, kingdoms, cities, and himself. What is a man in the Infinite?

But to show him another prodigy equally astonishing, let him examine the most delicate things he knows. Let a mite be given him, with its minute body and parts incomparably more minute, limbs with their joints, veins in the limbs, blood in the veins, humours in the blood, drops in the humours, vapours in the drops. Dividing these last things again, let him exhaust his powers of conception, and let the last object at which he can arrive be now that of our discourse. Perhaps he will think that here is the smallest point in nature. I will let him see therein a new abyss. I will paint for him not only the visible universe, but all that he can conceive of nature's immensity in the womb of this abridged atom. Let him see therein an infinity of universes, each of which has its firmament, its planets, its earth, in the same proportion as in the visible world; in each earth animals, and in the last mites, in which he will find again all that the first had, finding still in these others the same thing without end and without cessation. Let him lose himself in wonders as amazing in their littleness as the others in their vastness. For who will not be astounded at the fact that our body, which

Reply to
Bob

originates. These fabulous historians are not contemporaneous with the facts about which they write. Homer composes a romance, which he gives out as such, and which is received as such; for nobody doubted that Troy and Agamemnon no more existed than did the golden apple. Accordingly, he did not think of making a history, but solely a book to amuse; he is the only writer of his time; the beauty of the work has made it last, every one learns it and talks of it, it is necessary to know it, and each one knows it by heart. Four hundred years afterwards the witnesses of these facts are no longer alive, no one knows of his own knowledge if it be a fable or a history; one has only learnt it from his ancestors, and this can pass for truth.

Every history which is not contemporaneous, as the books of the Sibyls and Trismegistus, and so many others which have been believed by the world, are false, and found to be false in the course of time. It is not so with contemporaneous writers.

There is a great difference between a book which an individual writes and publishes to a nation, and a book which itself creates a nation. We cannot doubt that the book is as old as the people.

629. Josephus hides the shame of his nation.

Moses does not hide his own shame.

Quis mihi det ut omnes prophetent?112

He was weary of the multitude.

630. The sincerity of the Jews.--Maccabees, after they had no more prophets; the Masorah, since Jesus Christ.

This book will be a testimony for you.

Defective and final letters.

Sincere against their honour, and dying for it; this has no example in the world, and no root in nature.

631. Sincerity of the Jews.--They preserve lovingly and carefully the book in which Moses declares that they have been all the
Reply to
cselby

instance of an aged woman, of about seventy years, who had spent most of her days under Mr. Stoddard's powerful ministry. Reading in the New Testament concerning Christ's sufferings for sinners, she seemed to be astonished at what she read, as what was real and very wonderful, but quite new to her. At first, before she had time to turn her thoughts, she wondered within herself, that she had never heard of it before; but then immediately recollected herself, and thought she had often heard of it, and read it, but never till now saw it as real. She then cast in her mind how wonderful this was, that the Son of God should undergo such things for sinners, and how she had spent her time in ungratefully sinning against so good a God, and such a Savior; though she was a person, apparently, of a very blameless and inoffensive life. And she was so overcome by those considerations that her nature was ready to fail under them: those who were about her, and knew not what was the matter, were surprised, and thought she was dying.

Many have spoken much of their hearts being drawn out in love to God and Christ; and of their minds being wrapt up in delightful contemplation of the glory and wonderful grace of God, the excellency and dying love of Jesus Christ; and of their souls going forth in longing desires after God and Christ. Several of our young children have expressed much of this; and have manifested a willingness to leave father and mother and all things in the world, to go and be with Christ; some persons having had such longing desires after Christ, or which have risen to such degree, as to take away their natural strength. Some have been so overcome with a sense of the dying love of Chris

Reply to
Anonymous

but the chase, which turns away our attention from these, does screen us.

The advice given to Pyrrhus, to take the rest which he was about to seek with so much labour, was full of difficulties.

To bid a man live quietly is to bid him live happily. It is to advise him to be in a state perfectly happy, in which he can think at leisure without finding therein a cause of distress. This is to misunderstand nature.

As men who naturally understand their own condition avoid nothing so much as rest, so there is nothing they leave undone in seeking turmoil. Not that they have an instinctive knowledge of true happiness...

So we are wrong in blaming them. Their error does not lie in seeking excitement, if they seek it only as a diversion; the evil is that they seek it as if the possession of the objects of their quest would make them really happy. In this respect it is right to call their quest a vain one. Hence in all this both the censurers and the censured do not understand man's true nature.

And thus, when we take the exception against them, that what they seek with such fervour cannot satisfy them, if they replied--as they should do if they considered the matter thoroughly--that they sought in it only a violent and impetuous occupation which turned their thoughts from self, and that they therefore chose an attractive object to charm and ardently attract them, they would leave their opponents without a reply. But they do not make this reply, because they do not know themselves. They do not know t

Reply to
cselby

Hi this is my first post! Had the same problem with my 1988 929 with a belt that had only done

40,000km (2nd timing belt) Reason: Top idler pulley seized causing the belt to self destruct due to heat build up! When I stripped the engine to examine cause discovered ALL 3 idlers including tensioner wheel to have either marginal or shot bearings. 140K total mileage which isn't much!

SO BEWARE it looks like these bearings do not age gracefully and lose the factory packed lubrication over the years and finally fail. I'm not sure if my engine has survived but everything turns over OK - no metallic clunks so I believe this may not be an interference engine as suggested and hope to have the car back on the road within the week.

Mazda here in Melbourne Australia want $200 each for each new idler wheel so I am currently trying to track down alternatives. The internal bearings are easy to replace and mine are NSK 6203DWAX. Any advice on economically replacing all 3 idler piulleys would be appreciated

Reply to
Warmtone
[...]

Update: I do not believe this is an interference engine as suggested by others. I am referring to the 1989 model SOHC JE engine. There is no interference evident when turning cams to align with the crankshaft - as required to install new timing belt. Be very caredul to line up marks it's easy to get this wrong due to parallex error. Suggest using a white marker to align cam sprockets!

The car is now running like a clock!!

Brian

Reply to
Warmtone