1993 960 Volvo - broken timing belt

I have been offered a 1993 volvo 960 with a "broken timing belt" in exchange for some web design work on the owner's web site.

My question is "what happens to the valves when a timing belt breaks, the engine is still turning and the cam isn't. Is it possible valves have have been bend? or is there enough clearance on these engines to save the valves? anyone have any experience with this make and model?

I was actually going to purchase the car from him, since it is in really excellent shape. It is clean in and out. Now, I don't know if I am looking at major engine work.

TIA William

Reply to
zoraster

You're certainly looking at major engine work. Unlike the 4 cylinder in the 940, the inline 6 cylinder in the 960 is an interference engine. I've seen the results of a broken belt on a few 960s, last one I saw suffered 22 bent valves. Often valve guides need to be replaced as well, and it isn't unheard of for pistons to be damaged to the point of needing replacement. Generally when the belt breaks on one of these, the car is considered totaled. If you can do some of the work yourself though you can have a very nice ride for a reasonable price, but I wouldn't pay more than a few hundred dollars for it since the repair will be from several hundred to several thousand depending on whether you have to pay someone to do it for you or not.

Moral of the story, if you have a 960, change your timing belt on time!!

Reply to
James Sweet
Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^