Mazda's automatics

I own a 2000 MPV, and it has a Ford V6, and 4 speed auto. The shifting patterns are terrible. It refuses to upshift and coast, it continually wants to downshift, to make use of more power. An added note I've had a number of problems with my MPV, (Most Problem Vehicle) Intake Maniforld leaks, Exhaust manifold cracks, 2 suspension failures ( Torsion sway bar in the front), brake problems, and all was NOT under warranty..

Reply to
Bateman Family

The engine is a little underpowered... hence its tendency to want to downshift often and rev higher before shifting.... is yours shifting differently than it did in the past ? .... or ???

Reply to
dooker

Yup, both Ford and Mazda's units like to do that. What other Mazdas have Ford shifters besides the 99+ MPV and 94-97 4-cylinder 626? Anyone know? How about you owners of automatic Proteges and Miatas? How do you guys' trannies feel?

Reply to
Crunchy Cookie

The Tribute has a "slightly" modified 626 trans ....so the woes continue .... the Protege auto is a Ford unit ..... it still amazes me after all these years Ford still cannot build a respectable trans... sad really... mainly because I remember the days of the C3-C6 trans which were decent units ......

problems??(2000

Reply to
dooker

Wait just a cotton pickin minute here. THE PROTEGE HAD FORD PARTS??? I thought, and was hoping, that the Protege was the last bastion of pure Mazdaness. Every Protege in history was even made in Japan. What year Proteges used Ford automatics?

Reply to
Crunchy Cookie