MPV Auto transmission -

92 MPV 3.0lL automatic 4WD
My daughter's vehicle that daddy can't get a handle on.
Sometimes the trans goes into reverse and sometimes it just tries.
Shut it off, wait a moment and it may come back or not. This is not consistant and there seems to be no particulat time (hot cold ) when this happens. I believe this trans is electric shift not hydraulic.
Any clues appeciated