RX-8 AC Compressor

I have a 2004 RX-8. When I turn up the temperature dial, does the compressor cycle off for more of the time, or does the HVAC system
simply mix in more warm air with the cold?
Is there an online reference that describes in detail what the controls actually do?

With most cars, they just bleed in a bit of warm air off the heater coil as that is a simple thing to do.

I figured that might be the case but I'd like to know definitively if that's true for the RX-8. I'm hoping that it cycles the compressor like the thermostat does for the AC in my house.
Also, I want to know if manually turning off the AC via the switch does anything in the ventilation system besides simply disengaging the compressor.