buying advice

Is there anyone willing to share a few thoughts on a buying decision related to an 02 e55 amg?

I have a close cousin who loves his cars. He is willing to sell me the above model for 20K. It has 105K on it. As he put it, he doesn't think he'd lose a relationship with a cousin on it. He takes care of his cars, he drives them aggressively, and obviously drives them a lot.

I should say that I have never owned a MB, and realize this is a performance car. I loved driving it, but am not experienced with this type of vehicle and want to think it through in terms of factors I might not be considering - particularly related to maintainance costs.

For what it's worth, I'll probably drive it 10k per year and it will be garaged when not in use.

Thanks for any insights.

Fanoz

Reply to
Fanoz

I have a 2001 E55 AMG with about 55k miles. It is a great car so far, but I haven't put many miles on it to know how it will hold up at 100k. I would ensure that he has had all scheduled maintenance performed on it. Take it to a reputable MB mechanic (or dealership if preferred) to have it checked out thoroughly. Also, look for rust (even though it might not be expected on a Mercedes and especially one this late model, but it does happen.) Look around the trunk lock and check for bubbles. Also, look around the door rubber seals and lift the rubber to inspect underneath. Check the both power seats to make sure they work in all directions, including the headrests. The dash is prone to crack in these models too, it the car has been out in the sun most of it's life.

As far as maintenance, my dealership charges $199 for Service A maintenance which is about 13,000 miles. This includes topping off fluids and changing the oil in filter. I haven't had a Service B done yet since I haven't driven my car enough since I have owned it.

Tires are expensive and don't last long if OEM tires (Michelin Pilot Sport) are used. A brake job can be a little expensive too.

A great car to own and drive it it's in good shape. The thing that worries me is you said he "drives them aggressively."

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff