mercedes c180 overheating

Hi, I have recently bought a 1997 mercedes C180 Esprit, Petrol.

It drives fine with the temperature always sitting around 80degrees but when you are stopped in traffic it heats up really quickly and within 10 mins it could be at 110 or 115degrees. I was always too scared to keep driving when it was at this temperature so i always pull in and let it cool down again.

Please help!!

Reply to
Mark Houston

Is 115 below the redline temp on the gauge? When it gets that hot, check to see if the aux radiator fan is coming on. You can look in the radiator when it's cold and see if there are visible deposits in the core tubes. You can get a flow test to be sure the water's circulating at the correct rate. Also, the thermostat could not be opening sufficiently. '97 isn't that old so I'd start with the aux fan and thermostat before moving onto the radiator.

Reply to
John