107 car 560 SL idles high

Hey all -

I have a bit of a problem. My girlfriend has a 1986 560 SL which is a great car with about 90,000 miles on it. However, the car has developed a couple of problems, and I can't get her to take it to a mechanic, and I don't have a manual for it, so I thought that I would ask you guys.

The car has the "antilock" light permanently set, and the car runs at a high idle permanently. It idles around 2,000 RPMs even when the car has been driven for over an hour and is fully warmed up. I am thinking that it is possible these problems are caused by a single bad fuse, but I can't find the fuse box. (She has also lost the owner's manual that I bought her.) Can you tell me where the fuse box is, or what else might cause these symptoms?

The other thing is that I need is to replace the door check. Is there anything difficult about this door check since it is radically different than any of the door checks I have ever dealt with in the mercedes sedans that I have worked on?

Any help that you guys (and gals) could give me would be very mcuh appreciated.

Thanks -

Howard

Reply to
Howard

I had a similar idle problem, the wire broke from the idle solenoid. It is on top of motor in middle front, just under air cleaner. Check the two wires going to this. The idle speed is controlled by electronic module behind firewall as I remember. Spray carb cleaner in intake and be sure all vacuum lines are not leaking or disconnected.

-Kent

Reply to
Kent_Diego

Jim

Reply to
James V. Roberts

Hey thanks for the info!

Reply to
Howard

Thanks! I already checked that actually. just because it seemed like the thing to do, and the wiring looks OK. I'll keep diggin', but thanks for the response.

Reply to
Howard